e-series?(does length really matter) RodH or Mr Porrit

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 24, 2000 - 07:50 PM

I was just looking on Rod's site and noticed a picture of his e-series Hawkins replica and noticed that his muffler extends way past the side cover compared to mine as I can only just see the start of the E-series emblem due to the side cover, as far as I know I have an e-series s-bend, how many types are there? and what does the differance in length do? and finally what header would you run with it?
P.S. RodH if you havn't yz-timed your bike yet, do it your missin out on a heap of fun, I didn't think that it would be advantagious in the bush, I was wrong..

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 25, 2000 - 02:36 PM

Originally posted by splint:
I was just looking on Rod's site and noticed a picture of his e-series Hawkins replica and noticed that his muffler extends way past the side cover compared to mine as I can only just see the start of the E-series emblem due to the side cover, as far as I know I have an e-series s-bend, how many types are there? and what does the differance in length do? and finally what header would you run with it?
P.S. RodH if you havn't yz-timed your bike yet, do it your missin out on a heap of fun, I didn't think that it would be advantagious in the bush, I was wrong..

Size always matters!! your Mrs should tell you that!! :D :)

There is 3 E-series S-Bends to my knowledge though I think only 2 are readily avail.
The STD, Hawkins (longer) and the Shorty.
Bottom-mid orientated pie, and a mid pipe.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted September 25, 2000 - 09:50 PM

longer headers give more torque/lower the peak torque. but it sounds like it was just shoved in the tailpipe a bit further!

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 26, 2000 - 01:43 AM

Hey Matt, it's good to hear that you're making a speedy recovery, but would you be able to answer me this: I think that I have the shorty muffler on my bike, so could I run a tapered header or a longer one to try and increase the top-end? or would it just be detrimental to the performance? The reason I ask is because I rode Mitch's bike last week-end and although he has the super-trick airbox, this bike just goes absolutely balistic from midrange to topend, where as mine seems to make most of it's power from bottom to the midrange.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 26, 2000 - 01:13 PM

If you have the S-Bend then you really have the wrong pipe for a screamer from mid to top.
Don't get me wrong, the S-bends are an awsome pipe, but if you're going for a mid-top bike like I did the the Pro-Mega is the pipe you want with a short hi-flow header.
Also disc numbers play a big part.. my YZ4F feels strangled with any less than 10. There is a big difference between 8 and 10.. not much (if any) down low but the mid-top is VERY different.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.