yz450 question

6 replies to this topic
  • bigdaub

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:00 PM

I just bought an 07 yz450, and put on an fmf powercore 4 pipe tonite - i checked the oil, started the bike and let it run for about 3 minutes, and then i saw some white smoke coming out of the pipe. I shut the bike off right after i saw that, let it cool down a bit, and checked the oil once more just to be sure. I'm pretty sure that the smoke was just from the new pipe getting burned up/ broken in. anyone else have this happen to them?

After this, i started it again, and let it run for about 5 mins, blipping the throttle here and there, trying to get my idle to where i like it, and then some coolant started spilling out of the overflow hose - is this normal for the new yzs? did i just let it idle/ warm up too long?

any input would be appreciated!

• 642MX

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:11 PM

The smoke was from the new packing, and yes, YZF's will over-heat if you don't get any air thru the radiators.

I'm guessing your header was glowing red too?

• Captaincautious7

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, your pushing the envelope idling the bike for 5minutes.I cringe letting it idle for 3,but so far with the exception when it was "brand new", it hasn't burped any on the 3minute oil check. I don't think this pertains to just the new yz's, because my past two crf's didn't like extended idling either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shipe

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, your pushing the envelope idling the bike for 5minutes.I cringe letting it idle for 3,but so far with the exception when it was "brand new", it hasn't burped any on the 3minute oil check. I don't think this pertains to just the new yz's, because my past two crf's didn't like extended idling either.

says right in the book do not idel more than 2 min.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:44 PM

says right in the book do not idel more than 2 min.

You don't expect people to actually read that, do you?

• Captaincautious7

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:01 PM

I believe your wrong on yamaha's idle time for an oil check. It says idle three minutes, turn off and check.

• Ranger18

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:20 AM

I wouldn't worry much about boiling over the coolant for that one time. A common break in procedure is to let the bike get real hot, then when it boils over-shut it down. That is suppose to help everthing seal up real nice.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.