2007 YZ450 Soon To Be In My Garage!

42 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:29 PM

Well if everything goes well I will be the proud new owner of this bike on Friday. Already have my deposit down just need to give the dealer a few days to put it together :thumbsup: So I was just wondering, any big changes from 06 to the 07 model? I know it has the wave rotars, and rad braces but is it the same bike other than that? I hope the new one works as good as the old one did. I had the suspension dialed in pretty good on my 06, so hopefully the same settings can be applied to the new machine. Anything else need done other than throw the stock chain in the garbage?

• warrior86

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:31 PM

.......ride the hell out of it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:36 PM

.......ride the hell out of it :thumbsup: :busted:

Yeah I'll be doing that for sure! Can't wait :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Subtle adjustments, mostly to implement some of the field fixes that users did to the '06. The shock is slightly longer to change the head angle, as '06 users did by running the forks up. The bars are higher by 8mm, which may still be a little low for many, but it's an improvement.

The exhaust got a stepped header, and a smaller outlet. Different cams for better top end.

• 642MX

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Anything else need done other than throw the stock chain in the garbage?

If it was mine I'd install a Rekluse, mount up some blue rims, add an inch of seat foam and get some K-dub bend bars. :thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:27 PM

Subtle adjustments, mostly to implement some of the field fixes that users did to the '06. The shock is slightly longer to change the head angle, as '06 users did by running the forks up. The bars are higher by 8mm, which may still be a little low for many, but it's an improvement.

The exhaust got a stepped header, and a smaller outlet. Different cams for better top end.

So does that eliminate the need to raise the forks then? Does the motor still have the same power characteristics that the 06 had with the pipe and cam change? I really liked the power of the 06.. wonder why they would mess with a good thing :thumbsup: Or maybe they just made the good even better with the change.

• shipe

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:37 PM

So does that eliminate the need to raise the forks then? Does the motor still have the same power characteristics that the 06 had with the pipe and cam change? I really liked the power of the 06.. wonder why they would mess with a good thing :thumbsup: Or maybe they just made the good even better with the change.

Hit's harder!

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:42 PM

So does that eliminate the need to raise the forks then?

Not entirely.

The exhaust seems to hamper low end performance just a little. I recall that one fellow swapped the end cap from a stock '06 exhaust and claimed it made a considerable difference in that regard.

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:43 PM

the bike hits harder but definatly could use a more bottom end.. you can fix this with an exhaust system or go up on the rear to a 50 or 51 tooth. but other then that the power is really smooth.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Hmmmm :thumbsup: So they have the motor a bit stuffed up with the new exhaust then. Well maybe I'll see if I can find a good used 06 tailpipe then. Why would they do that? Is the bike quieter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Is the bike quieter?

Considerably.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Considerably.

Well in a way thats a good thing. Our tracks have big noise issues right now. I guess my db dawg won't fit this bike either then.. nuts.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 27, 2007 - 01:29 AM

My practice buddy has an '06, and I have an '07, and honestly at my level of squidness, I can't tell them apart as far as power, I would probably give my '07 as having a tad bit less snap down low (and I am NOT implying my bike is slower). We both agree the '07 is a better overall bike to ride (and his '06 was AWESOME last year, until we both rode my '07 :thumbsup:

• Justin89

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:56 PM

The magazines say that the 07's feel more like a 390 than a 450. There was a thread on here a little while ago about this...search it if nobody believes me. I know that they worked with the 06 turning problem a lot more on the 07. They also gave it that really small exhaust end cap. The 07's are sweet though. Awesome all around bike and look great with the new shrouds. Very reliable and dependable.

• 02YZ426

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I just hope it doesn't run like its all stuffed up with that new pipe.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:03 AM

I just hope it doesn't run like its all stuffed up with that new pipe.

I don't know what your looking for, but I think you are going to be VERY pleasantly surprised at how sweet the '07 really is. It's got a softer exhaust tone, and like so many of us comment, the power is amazingly usable, NOT slow. If you do feel you want more low to mid power, just bump up the rear sprocket to a 51T, and you gain some cheap snap for power. Good luck with it!

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 28, 2007 - 02:11 AM

The magazines say that the 07's feel more like a 390 than a 450. .

90% of the riders out there can't effectively use all the power of a 390 anyway, let alone a 450.

Holeshotting a moto is no good, if you get passed by 10 riders on the next few laps because you get arm pump from too much motor....

Hell, i'd be content with a YZ350F... :thumbsup:

• yam314

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:40 AM

Wonder if a PMB end cap will uncork a little more power? I am going to get one anyway because I need the spark arrestor.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:14 AM

My *guess* would be that a PMB for an '06 would have the same effect as the OEM '06 end cap. Now, you just have to wonder if the information regarding the improvement made by the '06 end cap is accurate.

• x2468

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:19 AM

selling the KX i see? whys that?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.