Posted September 23, 2000 - 04:57 PM

just wondering

• MotoGreg

Posted September 23, 2000 - 05:44 PM

Heat does.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• James_Dean

Posted September 23, 2000 - 07:11 PM

A smart answer for a dumbass question :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted September 24, 2000 - 12:30 PM

if the exhaust valve opens too early the exhaust flame will escape whilst still burning & expanding.

the idea is that the mixture burns in a controlled explosion & pushes the piston down. when the useful effort of this push on the piston has gone it's time to open the exhaust valves & let it exhale.

if it's done too soon the burning gases go out the exhaust port. the valves are actually quite good at coping with this on modern machinery.

there is also the possibility of running lean. if i remember rightly the temp of a good mixture is 800c & lean can be 1200c!!!

if the bike runs fine it won't be this.

dodgy ignition/ignition timing can burn the fuel too late making the unburnt mixture burn after it got kicked out the cylinder is another.

lets note forget that the header is a single wall thickness pipe. on roadbikes it would be dual & the orange glow wouldn't show & wreck your lovely crome headers.

bit technical i know but i hope i have helped you.

Taffy

• Dan_in_pa

Posted September 24, 2000 - 03:46 PM

It's normal don't worry about it .It's also normal for your bike to overheat if you idle to long(like 5 minutes)

• sam

Posted September 25, 2000 - 02:54 AM

Same thing happened to my mates bike. It also would not idle properly.He put in bigger pilot jet and that cured it.The bike runs on pilot system only at tick over so if you get some **** int there it can run very lean but be ok when the throttle is opened.A poorly adjusted pilot screw could also have a similar effect.

bend it you mend it racing corp.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.