checking valve clearence on 06(this cant be right)

25 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:56 PM

Since you didn't say what size blade you checked, and you didn't say what it measured, I have no way of knowing, do I?

Be sure you are applying the right amount of pressure with the micrometer by seeing what it takes to get it to read exactly 0 with nothing in it.

As to whether your valves need shimming, the answer is the same as for the question, "is your valve clearance outside of the specified range?" If yes, it doesn't matter by how much, it needs to be adjusted.

Well! I was pretty sure with the measurements I got but to be on the safe side I took my bike to my friend which owns the yamaha shop and is the mechanic also and had him to check it. He had the feeler gauges that read just like the book called for in MM's which were 0.10,0.15,0.20 and so on. The blades were very slim and I believe the name brand of them were Keller that he got from yamaha. But anyway he measured but done it totally different than me. He didnt even line the marks up in the crankcase and didnt even look at the dots on the cam shaft to see if they were inline with the cylinderhead surface. I asked him why he didnt do all of that and he stated he goes by the valves and the feel of the kick starter,he said he watches the valves to open and close and when they are right where they suppose to be he stops cranking on the kick starter. He checked the valves and both intake and exhaust were fine:thumbsup: He said not even to worry about the valves any more....said they dont get loose they will just get tighter but as long as I can get the 0.10 under the intake they are good and the 0.20 under the exhaust valves they are fine. He said he has never seen or had anyone to have to shim the valves on the 06 yet........said I will be able to put a couple of top ends in and they will still be fine. I have 34.1 hours on my bike and he recomended I put a fresh top end in and if I didnt put one in at.......at least 50 hours. He said I shouldnt have to worry about the valve clearence anymore but to put a top end in it every once inawhile and that the bike would blow up before the valves got out of adjustment if I didnt put a top end in it. He said that the yamaha valves were tough and stayed in spec and said those titanium valves were the thing that you cant beat um.

• TeamPrecisionIT

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Doesnt a new top end equate to new valves?

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Two strokes were de rigueur for so long that "top end" has come to be used to refer to the replacement of piston and rings only, and a valve job is usually thought of as a separate operation. Technically, a top end on a four-stroke would include reconditioning the head, too, but the term is hardly ever used that way around dirt bikes any more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:46 PM

.. I took my bike to my friend which owns the yamaha shop and is the mechanic also and had him to check it. ... he measured but done it totally different than me.

I thought that might be the case.

• kyle450rider

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:44 AM

Uh..... no there not! the intake valves are to be at 0.0039-0.0059 and mine are at .051 which are with in the spec but now for the exhaust valves the book says 0.0079-0.0098 and mine are .063 which are under the spec value.

Sorry i rounded up,it was easier than typing 0.0039-0.0059 .

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Sorry i rounded up,it was easier than typing 0.0039-0.0059 .

Besides, if anyone thinks they can accurately measure the difference between 0.0039-0.0059" and .004-.006" with a feeler gauge, they are kidding a very small number of people. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.