XR 650 R Stator Problem

9 replies to this topic
  • Jafrawill

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Hey ,
Can someone help to find the problem with the stator I rewound I followed the instructions form 4strokes website, I started running the wire to the right ccw next one cw and so on.I'm not sure of the number of turn i did on each ,about 30 I think.
Solder the wire together ,got 1 ohm from the green and white and yellow.
I have checked the continuity to make sure no wire as been cut .
I put back the stator in place before putting the epoxy ,the bike start perfectly but I don't have any power to the light .I've got the baja design kit already on it.
I check with the volt meter nothing is coming out of the stator ?
Anybody had the same problem?

• bosshog

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:29 PM

how are your connections? I know you checked ohm's and the continuity but did something get moved reinstalling the stator or puting on the cover? That's all I can think of if your getting no voltage. Where are you looking for voltage? At the headlight connector or wiring connector under the seat befor the regulator? Lower out put than expected could be a winding problem but zero has to be a poor connection or a short. Take a second look and make sure. Hey at least you didn't epoxy it already.

Bosshog

• Jafrawill

Posted June 27, 2007 - 03:28 AM

I looked under the seat directly at the stator output ,but i'll check again everything.
I know i don't have a short I checked again i checked again from the winding.
thanks for your help

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hey ,
Can someone help to find the problem with the stator I rewound I followed the instructions form 4strokes website, I started running the wire to the right ccw next one cw and so on.I'm not sure of the number of turn i did on each ,about 30 I think.
Solder the wire together ,got 1 ohm from the green and white and yellow.
I have checked the continuity to make sure no wire as been cut .
I put back the stator in place before putting the epoxy ,the bike start perfectly but I don't have any power to the light .I've got the baja design kit already on it.
I check with the volt meter nothing is coming out of the stator ?
Anybody had the same problem?

I don't know if you have looked at this web sites instructions but click the link and check it out.
http://www.xr650r.us/stator/

• Jafrawill

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:39 PM

yes it's the info i followed ,i rechecked everything and i get the same thing.
Maybe different years so different windind connection?
thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:23 PM

yes it's the info i followed ,i rechecked everything and i get the same thing.
Maybe different years so different windind connection?
thanks

The XR650R has had almost zero changes since it's launching back in 2000. Any part from any year are interchangeable. They did improve the clutch basket bearing and the counter shaft seal. And bold new graphics. What ever your problem is it's not due to the year of the bike. When the stator is rewound there is one other electrical component that should be changed out also. Since you have the Baja Designs dual sport kit I would assume that is already taken care of. For the life of me I cannot think of the name of the electrical component but its a square black box. Baja Designs rewound my stator and sent me the black box to go with it. I have the Baja Designs E-Start kit on mine.

• CRFELLA

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:17 PM

I think you are talking about a regulator/rectifier (DC). The Baja designs kit comes with one attached to the back of the new headlight shroud. I recall it being rated to 160 watts. If the rewound stator put out 200+ watts the regulator/rectifier may be cooked? Just a thought...

• Jafrawill

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:12 AM

well I found out the problem, when you follow the tutorial it say :

"Take your wire that returns from the coils you made, and cut it to a length that will match the end of the yellow/white wire, and strip 1/8" or so of the clear insulation from it. Remove any burrs on the end of the wire from when you cut it. Now solder it back into the connector on the yellow/white wire, making sure the connection is solid. Slide the insulation back over the joint. " well I had to do the opposite Some would say I started the 1rst coil in the wrong direction but I check many time and I did like the tutorial.
Anyway now it work and the output from the stator is more or less 24v AC and from the headlight around 14v DC I don't know if the regulator will handle it but so far so good.
I hope this will help others in doing this job.
Thanks

• bosshog

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I thought that if you wound the coils starting in the opposit direction all it would do is subtract the first coils output from the rest and be slightly less over all. So dose that mean it's all good now? The connections were just backwards? Good trouble shooting. Epoxy that puppy up and enjoy. Mine has lasted 2 years so far and I can't see why it would be any less reliable than stock.

Bosshog

• scottiedawg

Posted July 30, 2007 - 03:40 PM

So how much wattage output from that stator rewind? I followed the same directions and everything worked. I just do not know how much power I have now. Anyone?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.