Clutch Cables

5 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 20, 2000 - 12:34 PM

I've already got a Works Connection clutch/decompression perch set up and I'm looking to make the clutch pull even more buttery smooth (anything is buttery smooth compared to my KX500). I've seen GoreTex lined cables in mountain bike mags and I am wondering if anybody has seen these for motorcycles?

I'm considering a hydraulic set-up but I'd rather not spend the money.

• Clark_Mason

Posted September 20, 2000 - 04:55 PM

On my 99WR 420 I'm running the Works connection lever set up with the needle bearing in the lever and a Steel braded Terry Cable Clutch cable with the stock Clutch pack, springs and a Hinson clutch basket and my clutch lever pull is just fine, its not hard at all. Much better than my friends 98 yz400 or 00 yz 426.

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 09-20-2000).]

• Hick

Posted September 22, 2000 - 02:30 PM

I haven’t seen or heard of any lined cables but I recently replaced mine and was amazed at the difference it made. My bike rarely gets wet so the original cable was clean (and well lubed) but the new cable made a significant difference anyway. Maybe the stocker has some type of lining. A new cable is only around $15 or so.

You are obviously not going to want to part with your trick perch but I love my MSR Raptor (especially in long races). I swapped bikes with a well maintained YZF and the guy thought my clutch was broken because the pull was so light. One caveat is that, even when new, the cable is almost too long for this setup so it has less room to stretch. That is why I replaced my cable but for the money and improved feel I’m fine with that.

For the curious I also have a GYT-R thumb compression lever with a Terrycable hot start mounted to the back of it. The two components fit very well together and I love the thumb lever for bump starting after stalls so you guys can’t talk me into YOUR favorite clutch perch either. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 23, 2000 - 04:00 AM

I went to the Hebo hydralic clutch kit and it is fabulous. You will never get as light clutch pull with a cable system.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 24, 2000 - 07:26 PM

Who makes the Hebo kit? I've seen Magura & Billetanium but not Hebo.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 25, 2000 - 02:28 AM

Hebo is a company in Spain that make the conrols that are used on the Gas-Gas I believe. I got my kit throuogh MX Tuner's shop.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.