Frame Geometry

4 replies to this topic
  • kwb

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the differences (if any) between 450's from other manufactures (Honda, Kawa, suzuki...ect)

I have always ridden Yz's, started on a YZ80 when I was 12 and had several 125 and 250's (all 2 strokes). I have been riding for 25 years and last year I bought a CR450 because I heard so many good things about it. The build quality was the best I've seen on any dirt bike, but I never felt comfortable on it. The ride seemed harsh, the bike was tall and thin and it just felt strange. I sold the bike after about 6 rides and now I'm considering trying another 450 this Fall.

I'm wondering if I felt uncomfortable since I am used to riding Yamaha's, or if it was becasue it was my first 4 stroke.

Do all manufactures use the same basic geometry on their frames? I know some use a 'perimeter frame' design, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Also, in photos the KX, 08RM and CR looks like they all use the same frame....

Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 02:11 PM

The steering geometry is subtly different between the two bikes, but the harshness you speak of is not a product of that as much as of the suspension itself, particularly the front fork. The Honda feels harsh to most people unless ridden very hard, whereas the '06 and later YZF's are surprisingly plush and supple for stock suspension.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior86

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:52 PM

i think every bike has a distinct feel. I had an 04 yz250f and now have an 07 yz450. Although i was amazed at the light feel and overall improvement even when compared to my 250f, there is a distinct diffence between any yamaha i have ridden and a hona or suzuki for that matter. Even when comparing older models, each brand has a characteristic feel. A97 cr125 still feels like a honda. I dunno what it is.

• sprint4425

Posted June 30, 2007 - 06:59 PM

i have an '03 yz450 that i've been riding for a couple years now. Last summer my buddy let me ride his '04 cr450 and the very first thing i noticed was how "thin" the body felt. When i changed back to my yz i felt like i was getting on a harley.

• yamaharider324

Posted June 30, 2007 - 07:13 PM

i have an '03 yz450 that i've been riding for a couple years now. Last summer my buddy let me ride his '04 cr450 and the very first thing i noticed was how "thin" the body felt. When i changed back to my yz i felt like i was getting on a harley.

that is odd. i have a 03 yz250'f and rode two different honda's, one was an 06 crf250x and the other a 07 crf250 and i couldn't get used to them. the 250r was stiffer but that friend was heavier and the crf-x felt odd. both the X and R felt similar though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.