What octane for XR650L

9 replies to this topic
  • tggray01

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Hello all, I have a question on what octane gas to run for my xr650l. I have run 93 octane in it since I got it (3000 miles ago). I was wondering what you all run and is it worth running 93..it is all stock except for the desnorkeling.

• martinfan30

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:13 AM

i definately notice a difference with supreme. its all i run

• Motosprtman

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:13 AM

it says inside my left hand side cover on a label to use fuel with a 91 or higher octane rating

• Rman of 237

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hey tggray,
Any engine that has a compression of 9.5:1 or better should run 93 octane or you risk the possibility of detonation (knock and ping). I've seen holes burned completely through the tops of pistons due to prolonged detonation.:thumbsup:
Rman.....

• Denn10

Posted June 26, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Good thing the Ls are only 8.3-1 compression

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gabriel

Posted June 26, 2007 - 12:32 PM

i bumped my L up to 10.5:1 but I would use supreme on stock anyway, plus, it's a motorcycle, uses so little fuel!

• drop

Posted June 26, 2007 - 12:58 PM

I run only 87 in my R. Never had a problem.

• wheelnut46

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Been running Shell 93 octane. I read someplace that folks should run premium on air cooled bikes if they can get it. The higher octane helps the bike to run cooler. For the few cents more per tank I figured why not?

• truck6driver

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:28 PM

It does not run cooler, however it does allow the engine to run hotter without pre-detonation. Octane it a combustion supressor. This allows the combustion pressures to be higher without damaging the piston. The hotter the engine, higher compression or advanced timing you run, the higher octane you need to run. It is a common miss conception that high octane fuel burns hotter. They believe that is why race cars run it. The air cooled engine has a greater chance of detonation since the only regulation of engine heat is air temp and flow. Reduce any of these and the engine can run hot.
You can run lower octane fuel, but will be at risk of detonation if the engine temps rise. I have run all grades at one time or another but try to stick with 92 and up (more so in the summer months).

RH

• desert4seat

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:41 PM

my L just loves 87 Pemix out of the milk container...
no love here - :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.