Why stay blue....

5 replies to this topic
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted September 21, 2000 - 12:11 AM

Hey Guys,

I have ridden alot of bikes in my time and have a fair idea of what is good and what is not. In addition, I have competed against alot of these bikes: Why stay blue:

* Been around since 1997.
* Proven technology and performance
* Top european MXers are riding blue
* a 400cc single that competes with the 520's, 600's and 610's. All you need is a pipe, seat and tank.
* Maintenance - well, remember XR60's are bullet proof, well so are the YZ/Wr's
*Great suspension out of the box.
* You want it to turn sharp and behave like a DR or KTM, raise the forks through the triple clamps. Do the measurements on the KTM and DR and you will see that is what they have effectively done.
* Better woods traction, add some weight to the fly wheel. It will make the bike more tractible.
* I know people in the industry, who work and develop the new bikes/prototypes and all these people say is dont leave the blue. I have spoken to people who were involved in the development of the new Honda for instance and the feedback I was given.... "You did not make a mistake buying the Yamaha".....

Anyway, it is all about wehat you feel comfortable on. But, before you change bikes because it does not steer well in the tight woods or spins the wheels too much, make some free and very cheap changes: Raise the forks and add fly wheel weight. Then, change the seat and tank. Afterall, many of us always want a larger tank, the WR already comes with the larger tank and seat combo for those longer rides..... It has power, range, durability and options.

Mitch

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted September 21, 2000 - 12:34 AM

By the way guys,

I love all bikes and I will ride any. Let the truth be known, I love the 2000/2001 Husaberg. i have ridden one and the performance is the most impressive that is available out there. BUT, reliability was/is an issue.

Lets be real, they are all good bikes and they all handle well and they all have limitations and need improvements. All I am saying is think before you change. Look at what you can do to your bike to make it the way you want it. If the dollars dont pan out and you prefer a change, then go for it.

Mitch

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 21, 2000 - 01:20 AM

You sold me Mitch. I am gonna buy one. Oh, I guess I'll just keep mine, I mean.

Mitch, I think it's time you run for politics! :)

------------------
99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Moab, HERE I COME!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mitch_from_Oz

Posted September 21, 2000 - 02:54 AM

Damn I cant wait to get to Moab and hang with ya Kevin.

• bobwombat

Posted September 21, 2000 - 06:08 AM

mitch, i'm with you & the other blue devotees here at the forum!

while the new KTM thumpers are supposed to be incredible, i left the KTM fold this past spring & haven't regretted a single desert trail mile i've ridden on my '00WR. one of the reasons i went ahead & got the 2000 model was, as u said, the proven technology over the past 3 yrs w/the 400/426 series. the newer KTM 4-strokes will have to be out a couple/3 yrs before i would even consider. in the meantime, we've got the best of both worlds; a great trail/desert bike (i'm in arizona) & a very respectable moto-xer for trips to the track. for those who have jumped ship to orange....wait until they get a load of the parts/labor/maintenance! i've been there & am now glad i'm blue! cheers, bobwombat

• Taffy

Posted September 21, 2000 - 08:19 AM

let em have it boys! shoot from the hip!!

i've been thinking about the oranges & i think their rather bitter this year!

you gotta squeeze em dry, chop em up, carve em into pieces, make their pips squeek!

our bikes are improving for next year (yet again!) making blue thee colour once again.

perhaps oranges ought to remember that blue is a vintage year every year.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.