'07 brakes are so good, they $uck...

16 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted June 26, 2007 - 04:40 AM

I took a good crash-n-slide over the bars yesterday, trying to challenge myself at the wrong time. I had the bike layed over too much, carrying too much speed and entering a hard gravel type corner. All's I did was just ride the front brake, and a rock slightly bounced my front end, and it was all over.... dam rocks and gravel friggin' HURT !!!!!.I am pretty dirt rashed up this morning. I would much rather crash in loom or sand anyday. It's gonna take a LOT of getting used to the new powerfull '07 wave type brakes. I've had 6 KX's prior, and most know KX brakes are well known for being soft. To me, the brakes just seem like a light switch, either they are off, or ON. It's not the bike, it's just the squid pilot LOL

• warrior86

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:30 AM

geeze, that stinks man. Ive always had yami's so the 07 brake imrpovement is barely apparent to me. They are sensitive, but i only use a finger or two to pull the lever. So the decreased pressure on the lever counteracts the sensitivity of the brakes.

• Wiz636

Posted June 28, 2007 - 03:22 PM

The brakes on my '06 are very touchy compared to my RM which takes serious effort to make them work. One finger only on the YZ, two fingers on the RM!

• ben_suhard

Posted June 30, 2007 - 10:01 PM

I crashed pretty hard(slightly separated ac joint in my shoulder, grazes and bruises) on the first day I rode my '06 YZ450F because I grabbed too much front brake, and I wasn't even turning at the time(yeah, pretty embarrassing)! My previous bike was an '03 KTM525exc, and I think the reason for the crash was a mixture of different front tyre, suspension and brake. Basically, the YZ is a different bike and you'll get used to it; I've come close to losing the front under brakes again, but have managed to release the brake just in time when it started to slide. I've even got an EBC 280mm oversized disc on the front now, so like you said, it's more you that's the problem(for now) than the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2007 - 08:52 AM

For years, guys (not me, but others) have been whining that the stock YZ brake wasn't strong enough. Now this. OY! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 01, 2007 - 03:50 PM

agreed - I luv my 06 brakes that are stock....I guess I am used to sensitive brakes as my 03 is a braking large wave rotor with their pads (SM15/CM44) and a galfer SS line CR routed......best brakes I have ever had....

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 02, 2007 - 02:44 AM

I just have to remember to only front brake while the bike is verticle on the slippery stuff, I will get used to them, it's just such a system shock to me right now, remember like I said, i've ridden spongebag KX's for the past 15 years....

• 02YZ426

Posted July 02, 2007 - 05:47 PM

They work real good on the 07 thats for sure... the front brake especially.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sleeperz28

Posted July 04, 2007 - 12:34 PM

i moved up from an 89KDX to a 03 450 with an aftermarket front wave rotor. OMG! almost went over the bars twice the first time out riding. the wave rotor is awesome once you get used to it. i love the four stroke.

• nap__kxf

Posted July 06, 2007 - 11:05 AM

isn't there a way to bleed the brakes to make them less sensitive?

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:06 PM

You could use a master cylinder with a larger bore, a smaller diameter disc, a disc made of a harder material, or a caliper with smaller pistons. Retrofitting earlier brakes would probably also work.

Or you could retrain yourself.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 06, 2007 - 12:18 PM

isn't there a way to bleed the brakes to make them less sensitive?

Yep, if you let some air into the system when you bleed them it will make the brakes spongy, but it's not the recommended thing to do.

• sleeperz28

Posted July 06, 2007 - 06:02 PM

air in the lines makes them spongy but the air compresses when high pressure is applied the brakes dont work. bad things can happen with air in lines, i would not recommend doing it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2007 - 09:44 PM

Aussie sarcasm doesn't come across to a Yank very well in print, eh, mate?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 06, 2007 - 10:27 PM

Aussie sarcasm doesn't come across to a Yank very well in print, eh, mate?

Nope, it doesn't seem to work so well in these forums, and I've gotten myself into trouble a few times as a result(maybe I should stop?)! Even over here there's a few that don't catch onto my sarcasm either. I'm glad someone noticed it was sarcasm. I probably should have and almost did add to my previous post that you shouldn't allow any air into the lines, but I thought it was a bit too obvious. I'll make a point of it now, just in case someone tries it.

In case anyone was wondering if I was being serious or not, DON'T ALLOW AIR INTO YOUR BRAKE LINES WHEN YOU ARE CHANGING THE BRAKE FLUID!

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 07, 2007 - 02:46 AM

I remember reading an article on one of the mags who rode Ricky's factory CR250 commented how Ricky's front brake felt "soft". Chad Watts commented back that Ricky likes a softer progressive "feel" to his front brake. (Obviously from running KX's for years prior, LOL). So I guess soft or hard, it's all your own gig as to what you like. I am just going to keep practicing with the stock feel. Adding air, ads moisture, adding moisture can fester even more spongyness when the air/mositure heats up.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 07, 2007 - 03:23 AM

I remember reading an article on one of the mags who rode Ricky's factory CR250 commented how Ricky's front brake felt "soft". Chad Watts commented back that Ricky likes a softer progressive "feel" to his front brake. (Obviously from running KX's for years prior, LOL).

In this interview, http://www.motorcycl...eID=4375&Page=1 Gosselaar says that Ricky says if he had a better front brake he could go faster. He uses an oversized disc (Suzuki works), which would give more feel and power. Something that's interesting, considering that almost everyone is raving about wave rotors, is that Ricky doesn't use them.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.