HELP ME PLEASE! wr450 legal in cali?

21 replies to this topic
  • Berlion

Posted June 25, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hello everyone i dont know anything about getting bikes street legal im only 18 i have no clue but im getting a bike tomorrow either the Wr-450 or the Drz-400. I want the Wr-450 BUT can i get it street legal in Southern Cali? I know the drz-400 is street legal but its also 300 POUNDS! thats just stupid and the wr-450 has more power, better susp, alot lighter its a quick bike the Drz-400 has nothing on the Wr-450 in my opinon But im going to get the drz-400 if i cant get the Wr-450 street legal in SOCAL... anyone know anything? the Drz-400 im getting is a 2007.

• KennyMc

Posted June 25, 2007 - 11:12 PM

It is currently not legal to buy and plate the WR450 in California.:thumbsup: There might be ways around it if you were to by the bike in another state (Arizona) and plate it there.

• dugabrams

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:52 AM

This subject has been discussed in massive quantities in the dual sport section, check it out. That being said, I can tell you from experience that you can try but you will likely fail as the laws simply do not allow plating after Feb. '04. Your best bet is to buy one already plated (if you can find one) and hope the plate never gets revoked as some have do to the fact the '03-'04 were red sticker bikes and should have never been plated, the vin # reflects this.
You can always move to another state (on paper) or pick another bike. The '02 and older WR's don't have the E start but some are legally DS, YZ's too. If you have the $$$, KTM and Husky make new, really bitchin DS's as well.
If you choose the DRZ it won't be so bad. I just came from one and now I'm on a '05 WR450 and I can tell you some pros and cons.

WR pros
Way more power in almost stock form
Somewhat MX worthy
Lighter, but not so much so that it is in another class as the DRZ. Both bikes are still heavy for tight single track unless your a really big strong guy.
Doesn't need a ton of mods to reach it's potential
Fit and finish, I just think the Yami is superior. Feels more modern.

DRZ pros
Way better on the street
Quite possibly a better bike on fire roads (very plush) and the suspension is great for this.
A powerful, but not spectacular, super low maintenance engine
Cheaper, best dual sport ever made for the money, but there is no way I would buy a new one unless you get a killer deal because if you are gonna ride it in the dirt you are gonna scratch it up in no time and there are tons of quality used ones out there). Also, buy '02 or newer as the S models supension got a major upgrade that year.
You can SM it with a set of OEM wheels
You can spend a lot of $$$ trying to improve power and weight. You will undoubtably still fall short of a bike like the WR (that's why I switched). Suspension however, is not inferior to the WR if you keep it in it's element.
Maybe an inch shorter. I'm 5'10" and the DRZ is a little closer to the ground, but I can manage both.

Good luck!

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I have a '07 DRZ SM and a '07 WR 450. The bikes are very different and the weight is a factor, but the suspension on the SM is actually better than the WR IMHO.

I bought the WR through a budy in AZ and shipped it here to be able to get it registered for street. Like CA, FL does not allow you to convert a WR for street use unless you buy it already done from out of state.

Since you are in CA maybe you should make the drive to AZ (much closer than I am) and buy a WR street registered. You will need a buddy in AZ that will let you use his address. Since there was a suggestion to buy used maybe you should consider a used WR already registered for street?

• dugabrams

Posted June 26, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I have a '07 DRZ SM and a '07 WR 450. The bikes are very different and the weight is a factor, but the suspension on the SM is actually better than the WR IMHO.

I bought the WR through a budy in AZ and shipped it here to be able to get it registered for street. Like CA, FL does not allow you to convert a WR for street use unless you buy it already done from out of state.

Since you are in CA maybe you should make the drive to AZ (much closer than I am) and buy a WR street registered. You will need a buddy in AZ that will let you use his address. Since there was a suggestion to buy used maybe you should consider a used WR already registered for street?

Keep in mind his SM front suspension is different than a DRZ S

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 26, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Rear shock is too

• moach1

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:02 PM

do a search in the cali forum and dual sport. i got my 05 wr plated. it can be done, but do your homework before buying it.

• CJ06WR

Posted June 26, 2007 - 10:04 PM

The only problem with registering a bike in another state and bringing it here and thinking everything is cool is that you only have 10 days to take your bike to our DMV. A nosey CHP officer will know something is up when you get stopped in a sobriety checkpoint and you have a California driver's license and an Arizona plate.

There are actually programs in place where your neighbor can tip you off to the DMV / CHP because our state loses millions a year in registration fees. We are all screwed with plating a WR. I know there are guys who have done it but there are rumors that the DMW will pull your plate. Who know if that will ever happen.

Our best bet for a real dirtbike that is street legal is to move out of Cali or consider going orange.

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:32 AM

I am not sure how it works in CA, but here I walked into the DMV, waited 5 minutes in line and walked out with a FL plate. They transfered the title to FL and charged $96 for the registration and plate. Now I have a AZ plate for another decoration in the garage.

The DR-Z may be a better way to go. I would get the SM though (oh wait I did). You could get the 21/18 wheels cheaper the SM wheels and have a decent everything ride for the same $$$ you'd spend on the WR. The maintenance is lower on the DR-Z compared to the WR and the motor is proven reliable. The power band is different and it is about 50lbs heavier as mentioned earlier in this thread. After the work done on my DR it has about the same performance just different power band.

• GCannon

Posted June 27, 2007 - 10:44 AM

It is not going to Happen with an 03-04 earlier or latter "MAY" happen but it will not be easy. You will need to do your homework and some luck will help. I just read a story in the OC register about a guy who built a Harley street bike from a custom kit and the DMV is giving him fits. The DMV is not just cracking down on dirt bikes but all vehicals of "Dubious Origin". :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dugabrams

Posted June 27, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I am not sure how it works in CA, but here I walked into the DMV, waited 5 minutes in line and walked out with a FL plate. They transfered the title to FL and charged $96 for the registration and plate. Now I have a AZ plate for another decoration in the garage.

The DR-Z may be a better way to go. I would get the SM though (oh wait I did). You could get the 21/18 wheels cheaper the SM wheels and have a decent everything ride for the same $$$ you'd spend on the WR. The maintenance is lower on the DR-Z compared to the WR and the motor is proven reliable. The power band is different and it is about 50lbs heavier as mentioned earlier in this thread. After the work done on my DR it has about the same performance just different power band.

In different you must mean slower, as I would challenge your statement on having equal power with your DRZ. On my DRZ S, I did cams, fcr39 carb, base gasket and a pipe and it still wasn't there. I think that stuff puts the DRZ around 39 H.P. and the WR has around 47 almost stock. Put cams and a pipe on the WR and you may be over 50. That's the difference in a bike that will do a roll on wheelie at least one whole gear higher, and a race through the gears would not be much of a race at all.

• live2offroad

Posted June 27, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hello everyone i dont know anything about getting bikes street legal im only 18 i have no clue but im getting a bike tomorrow either the Wr-450 or the Drz-400. I want the Wr-450 BUT can i get it street legal in Southern Cali? I know the drz-400 is street legal but its also 300 POUNDS! thats just stupid and the wr-450 has more power, better susp, alot lighter its a quick bike the Drz-400 has nothing on the Wr-450 in my opinon But im going to get the drz-400 if i cant get the Wr-450 street legal in SOCAL... anyone know anything? the Drz-400 im getting is a 2007.

Don't even worry about it, get the DRZ400S and ride happy! ( I love my 07' 400E, but then I was not looking for a dual sport.) The WR450 is dirt only in all of California, period.

-Peter

• FreeRideSouth

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:17 PM

In different you must mean slower, as I would challenge your statement on having equal power with your DRZ. On my DRZ S, I did cams, fcr39 carb, base gasket and a pipe and it still wasn't there. I think that stuff puts the DRZ around 39 H.P. and the WR has around 47 almost stock. Put cams and a pipe on the WR and you may be over 50. That's the difference in a bike that will do a roll on wheelie at least one whole gear higher, and a race through the gears would not be much of a race at all.

Thanks for the challenge! I guess there may be something wrong with my WR cause even though there may be a difference in HP on the dyno there is only a small difference in an actual race. The race was on the street with equal weight and skill riders. When we switched bikes simalar results. One thing, the jetting on my WR was way out. It is possible this made a difference as it was incredibly hot and humid the day we ran them, which was the day we put a Yosh on the WR and made an attempt to get the jetting dailed. We will do another run now that we have the jetting worked out and will do it in the morning while temps are in the low 80s, but may still be very humid.

Of course when we refer to my WR, stock means the free mods and the Yosh.

My DRZ returned 42hp on a very conservative dyno. Work done is a Ice Cube 96mm bore, stage 1 hot cams, 39mm FCR, Yosh stainless, porting by a local reputal builder. There has been some weight removed as well.

Also I would like to note that wheelies doesn't equal speed, it simply means the power comes on different.

• dugabrams

Posted June 28, 2007 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for the challenge! I guess there may be something wrong with my WR cause even though there may be a difference in HP on the dyno there is only a small difference in an actual race. The race was on the street with equal weight and skill riders. When we switched bikes simalar results. One thing, the jetting on my WR was way out. It is possible this made a difference as it was incredibly hot and humid the day we ran them, which was the day we put a Yosh on the WR and made an attempt to get the jetting dailed. We will do another run now that we have the jetting worked out and will do it in the morning while temps are in the low 80s, but may still be very humid.

Of course when we refer to my WR, stock means the free mods and the Yosh.

My DRZ returned 42hp on a very conservative dyno. Work done is a Ice Cube 96mm bore, stage 1 hot cams, 39mm FCR, Yosh stainless, porting by a local reputal builder. There has been some weight removed as well.

Also I would like to note that wheelies doesn't equal speed, it simply means the power comes on different.

Fair enough, the big bore and porting I can't speak for. I also know a DRZ engine can run with anything when seriously moded. A guy named Burned on the DRZ forum has a 57HP one. I think he has a 475cc stroker, stage 2 cam, 41mmfcr and serious head work to boot. He is also the TT jetting expert. I'm sure you know who he is.
I had my DRZ for 5 years and had a lot of fun on it, but eventually I grew bored and wanted more power and more of a full on dirt bike. I traded my DRZ for a plated '05WR because dollar for dolllar, mod for mod, I would always be ahead. The plate was the tricky thing.
Now you got me thinking of moding my WR. Big bore and stroker kit, stage 1 yz cams, full yosh, 41mm fcr (jetted by burned) and head work. That bike would scare me in the dirt. Now on the street with a motard setup, that would be sweet.

• dayvn

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:26 AM

I traded my DRZ400 for a wr about a month ago. My drz made about 40 hp. To tell you the truth the wr450 with free mods didn't feel that much faster on the low end. The power difference is significant in the mid range to top end. It is amazing how much lighter 40 pounds feels, on the trails and the suspension is soooo much better. I loved my DRZ but the friends i ride with ride yz250's and yz250f's I could lead the pack for the first half of the day but after a 4 hours of ridding i would be wrecked. now after a full day of ridding i barley get sore.:thumbsup:

My advice is Get a Husky te450/510 and hope it holds together.!(Nearly 50hp!) If you are going to put on a ton of miles like 7000 a year, like i did. Get the DRZ it is the only bike that will keep running to 50,000+ miles.

• moach1

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:38 PM

get the wr, and plate it. it is not that hard. people will tell you it is, but i know of several guys on wrs, crfs and ktm with plates. still dont know of anyone getting a letter from the dmv wanting the plate back.

• moach1

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:39 PM

or you can call dale at trick dual sport and ask him, he helped me out.

• redhurricane

Posted June 29, 2007 - 11:53 AM

Colorado has no vehicle inspection, you sign a form stating it's been modified to meet street criteria and leave with plates. 06 Wr450 plated.

They WILL however try to nail you for back taxes, among all kinds of other fees. As stated, if you choose to go the route of trying to plate a bike, do your homework and find out what options you really have.

• baha

Posted June 29, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Husky, problem solved.

• gregward

Posted July 03, 2007 - 07:43 AM

I hear Yamaha of Cucamonga (CA) will get a plate for your WR 450 if you purchase it there. They can not help if it is already registered for off road.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.