MX helmet with big cooling holes ?

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 19, 2000 - 07:56 PM

Do you think they will ever make a dirtbike helmet with the big cooling holes like a bicycle helmet has?..... I am pretty susceptible to high heat riding conditions (I hate them).... Luckily we have had a cool summer this year, but the biggest problem with the high heat for me seems to be that my head just gets too warm.... to the point of almost causing nausea.... It would seem that if you took the MX helmet design.... added all the big holes from the bicycle design.... and maybe increased the overall thickness of the "inside to outside dimension to recover some of the strength that you would lose from having all the holes that maybe it would help..... safetywise I think only a real pointy rock in just the right spot would penetrate to the skull(have you ever hit your head on a real pointy rock?).... I know that one of the biggest hurdles would be the threat of lawsuits claiming the helmet wasn't adequate protection.... which would prevent a manufacturer from producing one..... But if somebody made one would you buy it?... Do you think it would help?.... I know another solution is just to get in better shape so the body cools itself better.... but besides that what do you think?

• efi

Posted September 19, 2000 - 08:33 PM

I agree with you, the Helmet is a killer in really hot days !
I think it has to do with the individual rider's heat transfer capability. I am in good shape, but the Helmet is still a killer in extreme weather. :)
I wish someone would make ventilated helmets... but the holes would need to be covered in the winter for rain and mud. :D

Efi.

• Vincent

Posted September 20, 2000 - 03:14 AM

Bell makes pretty good ventilation on their helmets. They use a ram air style, with vents up and over your head with air escape vents on the back. Once your moving you can actually feel the airflow over your head.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AngryCandy

Posted September 20, 2000 - 03:26 AM

I think the structural integrity would be comprimised too much with large vents.

The material that rests against your head plays a big part in how you feel. You want something that wicks moisture away. Mine has Dupont Coolmax and I feel good in most conditions.

Or you could shave your head...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 20, 2000 - 03:43 AM

I have noticed that some of the NFL players now have two rows of holes on the top of there helmets. They must be strong as much as they use them.

• Kermit

Posted September 20, 2000 - 05:13 AM

I have the Fox Pilot, it's pretty damn cool(as temp.)and I live in AZ! I also stop and wet my hair too that seems to help.
I don't if I would trust a helmet with big holes in it if I would wipe out at 100mph.
I'm from a cycling back ground. You just can't go as fast on bicycle as you can on a motorcycle. I have hit 60 on my road bike but, I don't trust that bicycle helmet if I was to go down.

• Kermit

Posted September 20, 2000 - 05:16 AM

I have the Fox Pilot, it's pretty damn cool(as temp.)and I live in AZ! I also stop and wet my hair too that seems to help.
I don't know if I would trust a helmet with big holes in it if I would wipe out at 100mph.
I'm from a cycling back ground. You just can't go as fast on bicycle as you can on a motorcycle. I have hit 60 on my road bike but, I don't trust that bicycle helmet if I was to go down.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.