Can anyone compare wr400 with drz400

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 19, 2000 - 02:52 PM

Looking to buy a 4 stroker that'll be part play bike that I can get serious with every now and then. I also want minimal maintenance hassles.

Anyone have experience with both of these bikes to compare?

• kerry_oz

Posted September 19, 2000 - 03:43 PM

rode a aussie e model drz last weekend,very good bike but did not feel to confident at higher speeds. hopped back on my 2k wr and knew this was the best bike i have ever brought or rode. "love it"

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 19, 2000 - 03:50 PM

Originally posted by kerry oz:
rode a aussie e model drz last weekend,very good bike but did not feel to confident at higher speeds. hopped back on my 2k wr and knew this was the best bike i have ever brought or rode. "love it"

Thanks for the reply. It's really a tough choice in the 4 stroke category these days. Yamaha just put out a YZ250 4 stroke to add to the lineup. Decisions, Decisions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted September 19, 2000 - 05:35 PM

I have a friend that rides a DRZ, and I've ridden it a few times at length. The bike feels lighter than a WR, even though it is a few pounds heavier. The ride is very plush, but does not have the predictability or stable, solid feeling the WR has. Sand and whooped out sections of trail really work the bikes suspension. The engine runs well, but does not have the snap that the WR has. The bike is good in the woods, possibly edging out the WR.The guy who owns the bike absolutely loves it, and hates the WR because of it's "rough" ride. I used to race MX and will accept the firmer ride,because the bike is absolutely on rails at speed.To sum it up the DRZ is a good trail or woods bike, in my opinion, and the WR is a little more race oriented(not so cushy), and demands an aggresive rider.

• BlueHondaEater

Posted September 19, 2000 - 07:53 PM

Yeah I can compare I have a 00 WR400 and my dad has the DRZ I let him ride my WR and he came back and immediately took the airbox snorkel thing off his DRZ then soon after picked up a fmf powercore IV 2 pipe from the shop. All he said was that my WR had more poop which translates into more power. After the fmf was installed on his DRZ and I still had the stocker on my WR, the bikes seemed about the same as far as power goes, BUT THEN I ordered a white bros E-series pipe for my WR now I wheelie past him with ease that is of course after I put on the White Bros I didn't just order it and suddenly my bike was faster. The DRZ has a softer seat than the WR but I guess my Grandpa would just say I'm a hardass so it shouldn't bother me. The suspension on the WR is stiffer than that of the DRZ. After that day I let my Dad ride my WR he kept saying that he should have gotten a WR but he is happy with the DRZ mostly I think due to that magic button (E-start)and with the FMF it gains alot of power so it isn't lacking power.One thing my Dad does not like about the DRZ is the funky ignition system cause if you use the kill button you most likely will forget to shut off the key which means your battery will die cuase the lights stay on.One other thing getting the air filter off is much easier on the DRZ. I like the WR better cause it has more poop as my Dad would say. plus I like the stiffer suspension.

• Bill

Posted September 20, 2000 - 07:52 AM

Mac,

It looks pretty much like I said. The DRZ for cruising and mellow woods riding and dangerous MX or the WR for aggressive woods riding and ripping everything else.

Later
Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 20, 2000 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I think I'm leaning toward the DRZ since most of my riding will be woods, nothing real serious, maybe an occasional visit to the track to horse around.

At 5'9" and 150lbs. I think the lighter feel of the DRZ and the thin profile, not to mention the electric start, will make things a lot easier. The bike hasn't been around long enough to test its "bullet proofness"
but judging by the DR350 predecessor it came from good genes.

Thumper Buyer

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.