Gorman Ride Last Weekend

7 replies to this topic
  • Clark_Mason

Posted September 18, 2000 - 08:20 PM

On location in Gorman by 07:45am Friday morning Motorhome leveled, bike unloaded camping stuff deployed. My friend Chris arrives about 8:10am. Gets unloaded and off we go heading for the top of Alamo Mountain and the Snowy trail. I'm in the lead and when I reach the Alamo Mountain Loop road no Chris in trail?? Back down 7 miles find Chris on the side of the road with a Rear flat, bummer, break out the tire tools and stuff a 21 inch front tube into Chris's rear tire, air it up and off we go again. Get to the top of Snowy trail and ride this outstanding single track trail for 5.5 miles down to Old Bakers Cabin. The last time (Feb 00) I was at Bakers cabin people had started a restoration projet for the cabin and this time some real progress had been made on the old historic place.

After our break we elected to head back up the Sonwy trail since this is the most scenic and one of the best trails around (the upper half, the bottom half is a trail but no fun) and it was starting to get hot so we go for the altitude. We spend the next few hours riding all over the top the Alamo Mountain in places that once were open; we just opened them for our ride on Friday, never saw another person on Alamo Mountain all day.

Got back to camp about 2:30 did approx 80 trail and dual sport miles. Sat in the shade had a few cold ones to build up our courage and re tackle Chris's Rear Tire and get the right sized tube in there, that done chopped the wood for the eventing camp fire and pressed on throught an excellent BBQ dinner with the proper refreshments. At about 10:00 that evening as we are about to douse the campfire Mike Schumaker from the forum shows up with his son. Mike 2000WR 400 rode Saturday mornig with his son; his son's second time out on his XR 100. By the time Chris and I returned Saturday afternoon Mike and his son had left but they left us some firewood, thanks MIKE.

Saturday morning on the trail at 8:15am you could tell it was going to be very hot today so once again we go for altitude. Base camp at 4000ft head up east Frazer trail 3.5 miles of single track later were at 7500feet with an outstanding view of the surrounding area. On over the top of Fraizer Max altitude 8013ft.. Down one of the newer trains called What-a-trail. This new trail joins the top of Fraizer with the Tejon trail, and it has some interesting stuff for the advanced riders. We probably came back down 3000 feet getting hot so all the stuff we just came down which seem challenging we did agin back up on to Fraizer we both make the interesting stuff without incident.

Finsih crossing the top of Fraizer mountain and go down West Fraizer jeep road to Lockwood Creek and then out the access road through Lockwood valley to Lake of the Woods and we hit the Trails on the north side of the Mt Pinos access road which are up at about 6000 feet and its getting real hot probably pushing 105deg F. We have a plan for the hottest part of the day booom down swtich back city trail right into the small community of Mt. Fraizer - Cold Beers and lucnch its 12:30 when we arrive. After lunch its damned hot so we make it next door to the stone building BAR its coooool inside, The pictures come from the freezer the beer freezes on the picture and in the constantly refreshed frozen mugs--we are working on getting through the heat of the day and doing quiet well thankyou. Head back to camp slowly (did I mention the Cuervo shooters) via roads, hit camp fire up the motor home Air conditioning (it was 110) inside the rig. Turn on the TV and watch the second half of the UCLA Michagin game which was great. Miles Saturday 85. Out standing BBQ steak dinner with a bottle of Chateau St. Jean Merlot um um good. Excellent Campfire to finish off Saturday and very hot day handled well by seasoned trail/dual sport riders.

Sunday morning hit the trails a 8:00am go for altitude again up East Fraizer took a different route acorss Fraizer mountain, down what-a-trail, across Tejon Trail Down Gold Mine trail back out the Gold Hill road to the OHV park for some OHV trail work. Total miles Sunday about 50. Loaded up and departed ant 12.30 home at 1:30pm.

No crahses spills or injuries except for Saturdays keeping cooool exercise but that was self inflected and we loved it.

Just another outstanding weekend camping, trail and dual sport riding.

You gotta like it

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 09-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 09-18-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 19, 2000 - 10:01 AM

Sound like fun Clark i'll have to get down there one of these days,when is the best time to ride there[coolest and damp no dust]?and can i get a 36ft 5th wheel into the camp spot?
monty

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted September 19, 2000 - 11:10 AM

Clark- I just missed you on Saturday. I arrived at 9:00 and went up to your camp but yall had already left. So I hooked up with 3 cool guys, 2 YZ 426's and a YZ 250.

I have climbed Frazier Mountain before using #120 East Frazier Trail and I like that trail. But this time we went on #122 the Tejon Trail and then went up the mountain on #121 Arrastra Trail.

That’s where the fun ended and the TOTAL HELL started. I think this may be the "What a Trail" your talking about. For me it was absolute misery. I could deal with the rocks and the single track. But the big exposed roots and narrow switch backs with rocks and roots killed me. Twice I had to carry my bike over obstacles (with help from the other riders). Just typing this is making me think of the misery. I fell 3 times on the way up the mountain. The worst part was, after falling, picking the bike up, moving into a position where I could crank it, it was totally flooded. No matter how much I kicked it wouldn't start for 10 to 15 minutes. Hot/miserable/tired. I tried the holding compression and kicking but it didn’t help. (Note- Yesterday I went back and searched prior posts on flooding but if you have any new advice I'm all ears)

I felt terrible because these 3 guys I had just met were there waiting on me. The guy on the YZ 250 was impressive. I think he made it up the mountain with minimal issues. I told them to take off and I would just turn around, but they were too cool to do that. They helped me and I finally made it to the top. I was so tired I couldn't even think straight. A nice MX track was looking good at this point. I've done most of Gorman and nothing I had ridden was this hard.

Anyway, once to the top the rest of the day was great. We came down East Frazier, hit camp for a while got to know each other, and did some more riding.

Sorry I missed you. Next time I'm going UP East Frazier and DOWN Arrastra. Clark, I wasn't clear from your post if you went up and down this trail or just down. Either way good stuff, but if you went up I want to publicly pay homage. I'm impressed.

Next time!

Harold

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 19, 2000 - 01:01 PM

Harold,
I feel for you brother - I've ridden, if you can call it that, up Arrasta on my KX500 & thought I was going to die. There were 3 of us on KX500's & 1 KTM 360 EXC - we all over heated. I'm by far the worst rider in the group & I was holding the others up for a good 30 mins as I tried not to puke. I know my lousy physical condition got to me & I think the altitude change also played a small part.

It sounds like we are similar riders - looking forward to meeting you in Moab.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Meadows (edited 09-19-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted September 19, 2000 - 04:14 PM

Harold

I have ridden Arasta both ways many times but do to profound wisdom I now only go down it and traditionally have avoided it since my 53rd birthday. The What-a-Trail is a new trail connecting to the top of Fraizer to the Tejon Trail which starts just about 0.8 miles past the turnoff to go down the West Fraizer Jeep road.

It is not as challenging as Arasta but has its own little challenges.

Sorry we missed you as you missed an excellent ride and a fun day. We will hook up some day.

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 09-19-2000).]

• mrmtm

Posted September 19, 2000 - 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Harold in So Cal:
Clark- I just missed you on Saturday. I arrived at 9:00 and went up to your camp but yall had already left. So I hooked up with 3 cool guys, 2 YZ 426's and a YZ 250.

I have climbed Frazier Mountain before using #120 East Frazier Trail and I like that trail. But this time we went on #122 the Tejon Trail and then went up the mountain on #121 Arrastra Trail.

That’s where the fun ended and the TOTAL HELL started. I think this may be the "What a Trail" your talking about. For me it was absolute misery. I could deal with the rocks and the single track. But the big exposed roots and narrow switch backs with rocks and roots killed me. Twice I had to carry my bike over obstacles (with help from the other riders). Just typing this is making me think of the misery. I fell 3 times on the way up the mountain. The worst part was, after falling, picking the bike up, moving into a position where I could crank it, it was totally flooded. No matter how much I kicked it wouldn't start for 10 to 15 minutes. Hot/miserable/tired. I tried the holding compression and kicking but it didn’t help. (Note- Yesterday I went back and searched prior posts on flooding but if you have any new advice I'm all ears)

I felt terrible because these 3 guys I had just met were there waiting on me. The guy on the YZ 250 was impressive. I think he made it up the mountain with minimal issues. I told them to take off and I would just turn around, but they were too cool to do that. They helped me and I finally made it to the top. I was so tired I couldn't even think straight. A nice MX track was looking good at this point. I've done most of Gorman and nothing I had ridden was this hard.

Anyway, once to the top the rest of the day was great. We came down East Frazier, hit camp for a while got to know each other, and did some more riding.

Sorry I missed you. Next time I'm going UP East Frazier and DOWN Arrastra. Clark, I wasn't clear from your post if you went up and down this trail or just down. Either way good stuff, but if you went up I want to publicly pay homage. I'm impressed.

Next time!

Harold

• mrmtm

Posted September 19, 2000 - 07:25 PM

note some of those gorman trail can be a night mare. i plan on being in those hill this coming saturday. im sure it will be hot weather day. that place is great in winter.

note i have found that when i flood out my wr i just pull in compression and kick over 10 times wait couple minutes repeat process. then start as normal. with out start out.

• Itsamre

Posted September 20, 2000 - 03:51 AM

The only time I have had to deal with 121,I
was lucky enough to be going down it. I do not ever plan on being on it again! Maybe I'll see ya up at Gorman some day! Mark...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.