US oil vs Rest of world for WR450

8 replies to this topic
  • TyeeHusky

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:33 PM

Anyone have a good reason why the 07 WR450 manual has two different oil charts?

Says US can use 10W-30 or 20W-40 or 10W-50

Europe has other listings such as 10W-40 and other oils.

Why would the oil not be the same for everywhere?

Anyone else see that in the manual?

• xrmarty

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:31 PM

I don't remember seeing that. If true, it's very interesting to say the least.

• KennyMc

Posted June 25, 2007 - 10:46 PM

What's also hilarious is that the manual says that "the design and manufacture of this Yamaha machine fully comply with the emissions standards for clean air applicalbe at the date of manufacture. Yamaha has met these standards without reducing the performance or economy of operation of the machine" Throttle stop screw? :thumbsup:

• dustinw

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:41 AM

Anyone have a good reason why the 07 WR450 manual has two different oil charts?

Says US can use 10W-30 or 20W-40 or 10W-50

Europe has other listings such as 10W-40 and other oils.

Why would the oil not be the same for everywhere?

Anyone else see that in the manual?

I was just pondering this last night too.

What I do know is that in the US, EPA regulations are causing oil manufactures to remove just about everything from the oil that actually protects engines. (this will be important to my point in a sec)

Also I know that oils with more than 20 viscosity points difference has to 'modified' significantly in order to exist. So a 10w-40, 20w-50 etc require a significantly different formulation than a 10w-30 or 20w-40 oil does. Consequently the 10w-40 & 20w-50 oils will suffer from viscosity breakdown much quicker than 10w-30 & 20w-40 oil.

My theory on why the us oil spec for the WR is different is this: If you combine the quicker viscosity breakdown of 30+ oils with the lack of additives to protect metal in the engine it makes some sense. To me anyhow.

Anyhow, from a gourp of people I knew who had sent in lots of oil samples from many bikes over a fairly long period of time, the biggest problem with oil in bikes is going to be fuel dilution.

So regardless of what oil you use, change it regularly, you'll be fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TyeeHusky

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:29 AM

Did not know the larger the spread in oil numbers meant faster breakdown. Thanks for the info.

I want to go to synthetic but only have 200 miles on bike. Am planning on riding in 80 degree weather this weekend so 10W-30 is out. Maybe the best bet is the 20W-40 for the next 100 miles then synthetic 10W-40. Any thoughts?

• dustinw

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:53 AM

Did not know the larger the spread in oil numbers meant faster breakdown. Thanks for the info.

I want to go to synthetic but only have 200 miles on bike. Am planning on riding in 80 degree weather this weekend so 10W-30 is out. Maybe the best bet is the 20W-40 for the next 100 miles then synthetic 10W-40. Any thoughts?

Where in WA is it going to be 80 this weekend :thumbsup:?

I think the WR manual would suggest using 20w-40 when the temps are above about 60...

• TyeeHusky

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Eastern Washington. Yakima area Sat 79, Sun 82, Mon 83.

Why do you ask?

• ccoates445

Posted June 26, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Be careful as some synthetics can cause your clutch to go goofy

• dustinw

Posted June 27, 2007 - 11:04 AM

Eastern Washington. Yakima area Sat 79, Sun 82, Mon 83.

Why do you ask?

Just wondering :thumbsup:

I was shocked yesterday to leave work and find the temps were mid-upper 80s in Kirkland.

Sometimes you just assume the weather will be the same it has been for the last several days, and don't even think it's going to get warm again around here..

There good riding down there? I'm new to dirtbiking and now am on the lookout for good places.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.