putting grease nipple in steering head

7 replies to this topic
  • sicoo

Posted February 19, 2002 - 01:39 AM

has anyone done this and is there any advantage

• mike_dean

Posted February 19, 2002 - 02:24 AM

I tapped a hole in the frame behind the # plate and installed a 6mm zerk, it takes a lot of grease but seems to work fine. mike

• Nige_Uk

Posted February 19, 2002 - 02:28 AM

I've put grease points on both the head & swinging arm bearings. When the Yams come from the production line, I think they must have a shortage of grease or something because there's never much in them.
If you jet wash your bike alot, its well worth doing & isn't a major task.
Fitting a grease point in the head is the most simplist. Some people strip the head down totally, & then drill & tap a hole for the fitting, i didn't.
I drilled the hole (4mm) taking my time & dipping the drill in grease at regular intervals to ensure that the swarf sticks to the drill bit & doesn't go all over the place. Once you start to break through, extra care is required (ie go slower).
Tap the hole, again using grease to ensure the swarf sticks to the Tap (5mm) & then fit the grease nipple. Pump grease into the head (I normally use high temp. grease due to the oil in the frame heating the head area up) & it takes about 3/4 of a full tube. I've fitted a few grease points to various bike heads & they've all been ok.
The swinging arm needs to be stripped & takes a bit more to do, but it's better than trying to get bearings out which have siezed up. :)

Good luck

Nige :D

• ddialogue

Posted February 19, 2002 - 03:30 AM

Mike and Nige,

Will inserting a zerk in the head tube provide grease to both the upper and lower steering bearings?

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: ddialogue ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyadam

Posted February 19, 2002 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, it will allow grease to get to both sets of bearings... but 3/4 of a tube? thats a lot of weight in grease... the stem is 1", and the head tube is 2"s... and 8" long thats a lot of grease.
A good sticky moly grease will stay on the top bearing (unless you spin it at high rpm, which is impossible :) ) and then you can look at the bearings when you put grease in!

• MOmilkman

Posted February 19, 2002 - 08:21 AM

Here ya go. I submitted this info a couple years ago.
Disregard the header, Im not sure how speed bleeders by mcarp got mixed into it but it is instructions for the zerk.

zerk

• SealClubber

Posted February 19, 2002 - 09:04 AM

Question about the headset grease zerk. If you only put on an inlet zerk, the grease has to come out thru the seals. Does this damage the seals? Either way, wouldn't a release zerk be a good idea? For the release zerk to work it would have to release at a lower pressure than the seals. Does anyone have any idea what pressure the seals can hold? I guess I would have to do trial and error.

• mike_dean

Posted February 20, 2002 - 02:35 AM

THE SEALS WILL LEAK SOME GREASE WHEN FILLING THE STRG HEAD, JUST LIKE GREASING A CAR THE SLIGHT PRESSURE OF THE GREASE WILL KEEP DIRT FROM ENTERING AND ITS EASY TO REGREASE AFTER EVERY PRESSURE WASH. I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS IN 2 YRS WITH THE SWINGARM, LINKAGE, OR STRG HEAD. MIKE

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.