Another Oil Change Question

15 replies to this topic
  • Kahuku Spoiled

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hi All,

Just did a "first time for me" oil change on an 06 WR450...followed the manual and searched the forum for tips...went well except for the one bolt on the left side under the shifter (#6 bolt in the manual)...couldn't get to it so blew it off...

I recall reading in a thread that there wasn't a lot of oil drained from this bolt so a couple of TTers blew it off regularly as well....

Anything to worry about or should I bust knuckles before filling her back up?

Thanks...KS

• xrmarty

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:37 PM

If this is your first oil change ever, be very careful not to over-torque any of the bolts. This is a common mistake by beginer mechanic. Use a torque wrench, even if you have to buy a cheap one from Napa or whatever.

I'm not sure which bolt your talking about. The ones that I know of are 12mm on both sides of the engine and they both expell considerable amount of oil when removed

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, appreciate the torque advice...used a T-wrench...have done oil changes before, but Harleys...just kind of weird to have so many drain holes...I went ahead and filled her up and oil looks good, so maybe there is some validity to not hasseling with that one bolt...most of the oil came out the back side bolt...anyway I'm content and hope to get a little quicker....Regards, KS

• jnybbad1l40

Posted June 25, 2007 - 10:57 PM

That side bolt holds a few ounces of oil that is trapped and cannot make it to the drain bolt. Its not hard to get to if you remove the skid plate. Better safe than sorry especially on the first change as there will be a lot of metal in the oil.

• Moto5

Posted June 26, 2007 - 04:38 AM

When I changed my oil a couple weeks ago I took off the skid plate because the motor needed a complete cleaning. I forgot that I was going to machine out a larger opening to get to this drain bolt. A lot of oil doesn't come out of here but I think it's a good idea to remove it anyway.

• emtrvt

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:52 PM

i pull the skid plate off every time i change my oil and it works just fine. i rather trouble with the skid plate that clean oil out of it.

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted June 26, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys...about mechanically inclined as a chimp...didn't think to pull the skid plate...I just bought the bike from a maint freak and it had just been serviced before I bought it and the oil was still pretty clean...so I'll get it next time...going to try hard to not hurt myself this weekend!...Regards, KS

• RJB

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:47 AM

If this is your first oil change ever, be very careful not to over-torque any of the bolts. This is a common mistake by beginer mechanic. Use a torque wrench, even if you have to buy a cheap one from Napa or whatever.

I'm not sure which bolt your talking about. The ones that I know of are 12mm on both sides of the engine and they both expell considerable amount of oil when removed

Sorry - maybe a bit of a highjack, but oil related. When installing a magentic bolt, which one should I replace? Left or right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Derek00

Posted June 27, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Another thing about torquing bolts that I learned the hard way; If there is any oil on the threads of a bolt you won't get a correct torque reading. I snapped the head off of the long oil filter cover bolt with a high quality torque wrench before I discovered this little piece of information. Had to pull the side of the case off to get an easy-out to it. Make sure you clean the threads before you torque them

• Dube2

Posted June 28, 2007 - 11:43 AM

Main drain oil plug, frame plug, remove the filter cover, install new filter, reinstall all plugs and bolts, fill with new oil. I do this every three rides no matter the miles. usually never more than 300-mile on an oil change. I ride with ease and never over-rev. my oil looks really clean but change it anyway. I here the K&N filter will last for three oil changes verses the yamaha filter that gets replaced on each change. I also had one of the filter cover bolts go bad on me the first time out. I removed the side case, re-taped the threads, replaced all seals since i'm there, put her back together and no drips, no erors. Also get that funky plastic frame oil drain widgit, snaps on the frame and I never need to clean the floor of the garage. For me, a complete oil change 15-minutes tops. :thumbsup:

• MojaveThumper

Posted June 29, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Seems this is about covered here. I bought the re-usable filter. Steep cost up front but when you consider the cost and frequency of oil changes it pays for itself REAL QUICK.

Becareful with that little bolt under the shifter. PITA to get back in. Be sure your oil drip pan is not underneath when you go to put it back in. Be fishing that out of there for sure.

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thanks Dube2...so you don't mess with that bolt behind the shifter? And where did you get the plastic drain thing widget? I used alum foil to "guide" the flow (tip from the forum) from the main drain plug, but still a mess...

• yz-dwg

Posted June 30, 2007 - 10:29 AM

another hijack here, Ive changed my oil 4 times on my '06 but have only cleaned the screen once, what do you all think of that? am I blowing it?

• waynus

Posted June 30, 2007 - 12:00 PM

another hijack here, Ive changed my oil 4 times on my '06 but have only cleaned the screen once, what do you all think of that? am I blowing it?

Yep , same here. I do use a magnetic sump plug though.

• waynus

Posted June 30, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Dube2...so you don't mess with that bolt behind the shifter? And where did you get the plastic drain thing widget? I used alum foil to "guide" the flow (tip from the forum) from the main drain plug, but still a mess...

The easy way to drain your frame is to undo the 8mm bolt that holds the feed line to the motor.

I always undo the little bolt behind the gearchange. It's really not that hard and that is what it is there for. A 5/16" wrench 'O' type with a bend in it fits perfectly (we call it a ring spanner in Oz).

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted July 01, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thank you Sir...I'll pick up the specified wrench and do it right next time! :thumbsup: Regards, KS

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.