Auxiliary lights on an XR650L

8 replies to this topic
  • evomx971

Posted June 25, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I'm getting my XR650L ready for some riding in Baja and will be riding at night. I upgraded the stock headlight to a 55w/100w bulb which made a big difference. Painting the front fender black (instead of the stock white) also helped quite a bit.

More light never hurts. What auxiliary light options should I look at? I'm considering helmet lights, but what could I put on the bike?

I won't leave the turn signals on it while I'm down there. The front turn signal mounts look ideal for a pair of driving lights to fill in the area to the sides of the bike. Has anyone tried this? Using the stock alternator, could I safely run the 100w high beam, plus two 35w driving lights? My tailight is an 1157 LED unit. I think the stock alt puts out around 190w at 5,000 rpm. I might need to go to a PIAA super white or something similar that puts out the brighter light w/o drawing the full 100w of the alternator.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has!

• cleonard

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:02 PM

The question is what are you looking to light up. I'm primarily a trail rider and I wanted more light on my XR600 dual sport with a high output stator. I put a 90/110 watt H4 bulb on the DOT headlight. That lights up straight ahead pretty well. I needed more light close up and off to the sides. I just installed a couple of real small fog lamps from Wal Mart for $15 or so.. They have 55 watt H3 bulbs. Since they are really small they do not focus well and put a lot of light out in all directions. This is just what I wanted. Since they are small I just mounted them right on the number plate just above the headlight.

If you want straight ahead light get a larger driving lamp. Mine are small fog lamps and are less focused than most driving lamps. Driving lamps are focused into a narrow spot and fog lamps are focused narrow vertically, but are broader horizontally.

If two 55 watters is too many watts, go with a single 55 or two 35's. Most aux lamps use the H3 bulbs.

With my 110 watt headlight and two 55 watt aux lights I can actually see OK at night on the trails. I have ridden with others who use a light mounted on the helmet, and I have to say "I want one!" Nothing like the light going just where you are looking.

• evomx971

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Good info. I've been looking at the lights on trailtech.net and they look like they'd work really good on the stock turn signal mounts. Several options from 35w Halogens up to some high powered HID units. Pricey, but they look like they would survive a crash pretty good.

First priority is to get some more light just in front of the bike and to the sides. My 100w high beam does a good job straight out ahead, but of I could get an even farther throw, that'd be good too. Trail Tech has all of their lights in either a spot or fog pattern. Could put one of each on or possibly two fog pattern lamps.

Do you have a pic of your setup?

• gabriel

Posted June 26, 2007 - 12:38 PM

forget adding lights man! If you really want a flame thrower, go with an HID conversion kit! Aerostitch makes an H4 (is ours H3 or H4?) or H3 complete conversion kit for under $240. In case you don't know, HID's are those headlights that alot of high end cars use, they make bright white light and make halogen lamps look pale in comparison. Check it out:

http://www.aerostich...it-p-18322.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:41 PM

forget adding lights man! If you really want a flame thrower, go with an HID conversion kit! Aerostitch makes an H4 (is ours H3 or H4?) or H3 complete conversion kit for under $240. In case you don't know, HID's are those headlights that alot of high end cars use, they make bright white light and make halogen lamps look pale in comparison. Check it out:

do you run one of these?

• cleonard

Posted June 26, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Don't underestimate the light output of 100 watt halogens. Most HID setups put out about the equlivalent of about an 80 watt halogen while only using 35 watts. They do put out more than a standard headlight, but not more than the high wattage jobs. I have done a night ridy with a guy who had a HID and my total light output was much greater.

I'm also a cheapskate. My 55 to 210 watt upgrade only cost me about $30. I can't really justify spending big bucks for something that I only rarely use. Most people don't trail ride at night.

HID ballasts and bulbs have come down a lot over the last year or two. On ebay you can get a two headlight H4 HID conversion for about around $110 these days. That's the delivered price. I may do this one day for even more insane light levels. I think that 4 HID's all on at the same time would work well.

You will need a DC system with a battery to run the HID's. HID bulbs might only use 35 watts normally, but they need a lot more for startup. To fire it is more like 100 to 150 watts and 50 to 70 for warmup. Once hot it drops to 35 watts.

I'll see if I have a photo showing the aux lamps.

• gabriel

Posted June 27, 2007 - 12:34 PM

do you run one of these?

Not yet, but i will!

• gabriel

Posted June 27, 2007 - 12:35 PM

Don't underestimate the light output of 100 watt halogens. Most HID setups put out about the equlivalent of about an 80 watt halogen while only using 35 watts. They do put out more than a standard headlight, but not more than the high wattage jobs. I have done a night ridy with a guy who had a HID and my total light output was much greater.

I'm also a cheapskate. My 55 to 210 watt upgrade only cost me about $30. I can't really justify spending big bucks for something that I only rarely use. Most people don't trail ride at night.

HID ballasts and bulbs have come down a lot over the last year or two. On ebay you can get a two headlight H4 HID conversion for about around $110 these days. That's the delivered price. I may do this one day for even more insane light levels. I think that 4 HID's all on at the same time would work well.

You will need a DC system with a battery to run the HID's. HID bulbs might only use 35 watts normally, but they need a lot more for startup. To fire it is more like 100 to 150 watts and 50 to 70 for warmup. Once hot it drops to 35 watts.

I'll see if I have a photo showing the aux lamps.

yeah, don't underestimate the heat output of a 100 watt bulb either! :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted June 27, 2007 - 04:03 PM

yeah, don't underestimate the heat output of a 100 watt bulb either! :thumbsup:

With the headlight heat is really not too much of an issue and I have been running it for 6 years. It is a glass lenses unit and takes the added watts just fine. It doesn't get that hot. The little 55 watt H3 lamps that I have are a different story. They do get hot.

One thing that I will say again. Not everyone just needs more light straight ahead. I needed more unfocused light. Running a HID or a high wattage bulb in your normal headlight does great for focused light that allows you to see far away. It doesn't help so much to see anything that is not in the beam. My extra lighting throws a lot of light all around and addresses that problem well.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.