Do I have the dreaded flaky XRL CDI?

10 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:24 PM

2 times on the trail, I stopped, took a short break, bike would crank, but not start.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/&%$#@!.gif

Waited 5 minutes or so, (started rolling downhill with the engine off), tried again, bike started and ran with no problems.

Bike ran fine before and after, no other symptoms.
When cranking with no-start, sounded like it 'almost' wanted to fire. Was a different sound than from cranking with the run-switch in the off position (tried that as a diagnostic test).

I am 99% sure this was not a fuel issue. Am 100% sure it was not a flooded engine.

Could not reproduce the problem at home, even after heating the CDI with a heat gun.

BTW No-one had the CDI in stock except 'hondaparts-direct". I will attempt to ride with the suspect one, with the spare in my knapsack, until I have a discernable failure.

Note-to-self- *** test the new one 1st!!! ***

Dave

• rmhrc630

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:34 PM

Dave

Could it be lower volts from the battery not firing the CDI enough whereas a push start somehow produces a higher starting voltage?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 25, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Are you sure you dont have a tight intake or exhaust valve?

Ive seen coils get hot and the resistance goes way up and they wont fire without a bump start...

• goblin127

Posted June 25, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have the same problem from time to time. When the bike is hot. I thoght about the to tight valve issue my self but I've ruled that out.

• murgatroid42

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:55 PM

My bike would start, and run OK, but would cut out while riding. Sometimes it would take 50 miles, sometimes less, then sometimes it would cut out every mile. Sometimes the bike would cut out for less than a second - a hesistation - and sometimes it would cut out for several seconds and I would have to restart it by pushing the button. It would always restart, but it was annoying to be riding and then the bike would cut out.

These were my symptoms. I checked everything on the bike, went through all the electrical items, but it did not help. Once I replaced the CDI, the problems went away, never to return. YMMV.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:50 AM

I never bump-stareted it, just coasted to a diff. spot and tried starting it again.

I've had the bike hotter, recently, and I had it 'as hot' later that day, no problems so I don't think its valves.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:44 PM

curious, dave and murgatroid, what year are your xr's?

• captb

Posted June 26, 2007 - 06:50 PM

My CDI would cut out at low speeds (engine would die), the only XR problem in 21 years of riding them, it was easy to diagnose thou, I could let it idle and tap on the CDI or wiggle the plug in connector and it would cut out. The pins inside the CDI box were intermittant. Mine was a 93 XR650L and had 13K miles and 4 years old. I forget where I got the new one but it was $80 and was a Honda part. Never missed a beat after that.:thumbsup:

• rmhrc630

Posted June 27, 2007 - 01:02 AM

My CDI would cut out at low speeds (engine would die), the only XR problem in 21 years of riding them, it was easy to diagnose thou, I could let it idle and tap on the CDI or wiggle the plug in connector and it would cut out. The pins inside the CDI box were intermittant. Mine was a 93 XR650L and had 13K miles and 4 years old. I forget where I got the new one but it was $80 and was a Honda part. Never missed a beat after that.:thumbsup:

capt what the hell is that avatar!!!!!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 27, 2007 - 07:53 AM

2001 on mine

Dave

• murgatroid42

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:48 PM

curious, dave and murgatroid, what year are your xr's?

My XR650L was a 1999, and had about 10k miles at the time. I had the problem 2 years ago, so the bike was 6 yrs. old when I had the CDI problem. I went over all the electrical wires and connections, and it did not help. As soon as I replaced the CDI, the problems disappeared. My $0.02.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.