Long Delivery times from Baja Designs?

16 replies to this topic
  • Rick_Graham

Posted September 09, 2000 - 04:34 PM

I just got an earfull about long delivery times(about 3 months) thru Baja Designs when I asked about a dual sport kit at my local dealership. Has anybody dealt with them recently? Has this been normal? If so, does anybody know another company selling D.O.T. approved kits? thanks, Rick

• MotoGreg

Posted September 09, 2000 - 05:33 PM

I got one from White Bros (a Baja Designs kit) and they had it in stock.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

[This message has been edited by MotoGreg (edited 09-09-2000).]

• BruceWA

Posted September 11, 2000 - 08:11 AM

Rick,
For this very reason I ordered directly from Baja Designs. I prefer to use a dealer whenever it makes sense, but often they are not excited about special orders from companies like Baja Designs, i.e., not enough profit margin to make it worth their time.

• Rick_Graham

Posted September 11, 2000 - 10:15 AM

wr400rock,
I called baja designs directly this morning and they told me "a minimum of eight weeks out for the standerd dual sport kit". The real kicker is in my area the state patrol may or may not pass my bike if I wait much longer due to some lame D.O.T. ruling that has most inspection stations very confused. Some are still passing bikes and others aren't. If I can't find a Quicker supplier I guess I'll order thru baja.

• Steve_Morgan

Posted September 11, 2000 - 11:51 AM

DSC Motorsports
1201 S. Central Avenue
Glendale, CA 91204
USA
+1 (818) 552-4109
+1 (818) 552-2315 Fax

Web site: http://www.dscmotosports.com/
Makers of the Driven dual sport Kit.

• BruceWA

Posted September 11, 2000 - 12:48 PM

Rick,

Ouch. Eight weeks is a long time to wait. :)
Am very familiar with all the confusion on obtaining plates for Off road m/c's in Washington. I was fortunate enough to get mine without an inspection or a Baja kit the day I purchased the WR. Unfortunately, the same place will no longer issue plates witout an inspection. Ordered the Baja kit the day I took the bike home, had it a week later.
As you know, those of us who desire to license off road bikes are not interested in cruising up and down the interstates, even if that's where the present administration would be happy for us to ride. :D
Good luck in finding a kit and getting a plate. :D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 09:53 PM

Call Baja Designs and ask what parts they do have in stock. I got everything except the wiring harness and switch.

Nick

• MotoGreg

Posted September 12, 2000 - 04:19 PM

Did you see my earlier post? I walked into White Bros. and walked out five minutes later with a Baja Designs kit. They keep them in stock and I'm sure they would be more than happy to ship one out to you tomorrow morning.

------------------
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 09:22 PM

I HAVE A DSC KIT IN STOCK $400.00
LET ME KNOW 888-248-9159/818-782-4600
ASK FOR MARK

• BKing

Posted September 13, 2000 - 10:11 AM

I had to wait 8 weeks for a kit directly from Baja Designs, while waiting,I found out about the Washington State licensing problem. I installed the Kit, mirrors, and DOT knobbies anyway, and took it(DRZ400E) in for inspection. The Highway Patrol Inspection station in the city of Bremerton passed me no problem, didn't even look at the equipment. Just wanted the VIN numbers, I've had my plate for months now. Try this site for more info.
http://www.nmaoffroa...g/licensing.htm

• Rick_Graham

Posted September 13, 2000 - 10:51 AM

MotoGreg,
yes, I saw your post. I called White Bros. and was told there were 17 people on a list ahead of me.

2 DADS,
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

BKing,
What a coincidence, I'm from Port Orchard and am also going to the State Patrol in Bremerton for inspection, wish me luck.

Steve Morgan,
Thanks for the info on dsc, they were backordered for two weeks when I called.

• MotoGreg

Posted September 13, 2000 - 07:46 PM

Wow, that sucks... what's up with Baja Designs... don't they want to make money anymore?

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 14, 2000 - 07:23 AM

I ordered my baja kit thru white brothers on april 10 and finally got it on august 8th. almost 4 months.

• Rick_Graham

Posted September 19, 2000 - 03:22 PM

I decided to buy the DSC kit thru 2DADS. has anyone installed this kit. Are there any parts of this installation that is particularly tricky? I won't recieve it until tomorrow and plan on putting it on this weekend. Thanks, Rick

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 20, 2000 - 04:43 AM

Originally posted by 2-DADS RACING:
I HAVE A DSC KIT IN STOCK $400.00
LET ME KNOW 888-248-9159/818-782-4600
ASK FOR MARK

My buddy is looking for a DS kit and a lighting coil for his YZ400, do you have anything to help him out?
richcp69@hotmail.com

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 20, 2000 - 06:33 AM

Rick, I too own a Drivin kit and had no problem with the install, just give yourself enough time to do a clean job, the nicest part of the kit is that you can take it off in two minutes max. Thats nice for me cause I only go dual-sporting about twice a year and spend the rest of the time racing enduros, so why carry around a battery,horn,blinkers and light if you dont need them all the time.. I do have the Baja-Designs license plate holder though because I think the one that DSC gives you is way too bulky! Have fun!!! Dan

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted September 20, 2000 - 11:08 AM

Geez...I ordered my Baja Designs (BD) kit in March and I got it late April--about 5 weeks' wait--and I thought that was a long time! It was worth the wait, though: very high quality parts and excellent installation directions. If you can wait for the BD kit, do so.

The best advice I can give you is to SOLDER ALL CONNECTIONS! I used the twist and tape method and that lasted only about 2 months of 2-3 rides per week before I started getting shorts and breaks. I got some excellent low-temp solder from Radio Shack and it works great. Allow about 5 hours to complete the job, and that includes the stator re-wiring.

Rich Bumar

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.