TDC what the hell is that?

5 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted September 18, 2000 - 09:09 PM

Just kidding. I have a question relating to starting. I usually grap the compresion release kick twice and on the 2nd kick let comp release out and it starts every time. Can this hurt my engine. I question this since every mag says you have to find TDC and kick with out the comp release. I use this technique everytime and have for the last 5 years on the xrs, no reportable problem on any of the bikes.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 18, 2000 - 12:30 PM

Pieman,
Forgive for not having an answer for your question, but I did start wondering if you had died, or had been taken aboard a UFO and had obscene acts performed on you by those little martian dudes (all 200 of them!!).

Hey are you joining are happy group at Moab??

Inquiring minds want to know...

------------------
99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Moab, HERE I COME!!

• Gary_Kessler

Posted September 18, 2000 - 12:36 PM

TDC - Too Damn Complicated!

Hey that's a great technique! I'll have to try it. I bet it'll work great in a desert race, as long as there's not any KTM's!! :)

Dunno. There was a thread about the decomp lever and issues with the piston hitting the valves if you cranked it over, but I believe the final outcome was: it wasn't a big deal. So I suppose it probably isn't a problem. . .

Any expert comments??

[This message has been edited by Gary Kessler (edited 09-18-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted September 19, 2000 - 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Team Oatmeal Pie:
I usually grab the compresion release kick twice and on the 2nd kick let comp release out and it starts every time. Can this hurt my engine?

I hope not ‘cause when I stall in a race this is basically what I do. (Will a flywheel weight keep my YZ running when it is upside down? :) )

No KTMs have passed me yet, it seems like a bunch of CRs are always passing me when I fall-n-stall. EXCs usually start out in front on those anti-Yamaha dead engine starts, but so far I’ve always caught the orange bastards. What IS the logic behind a &@%# dead-engine start anyway? I’ve always wondered… Race promoter DOES own a KTM dealership though :D

I don’t think any amount of kicking w/ release pulled will hurt your bike. Just don’t run it with release pulled, and make sure you have some slack in the cable.

Welcome back to Planet Earth.

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 19, 2000 - 07:04 AM

Hickster,
I concur on the the dead start issue. It only takes a second to reset a (backwards) falling gate!! They should get on the ball and off the stick (just like the deodorant company's) and stick to what should decide the holeshot...quick eye and reflexes, NOT whose bike starts easiest.

• Hick

Posted September 19, 2000 - 11:46 AM

My feelings exactly.

I wonder how Ty Davis does it. I noticed that he has ridden a YZF in some H&Hs. Dead starts are WAY unfair to YZF/WRs, especially novices or anyone who doesn’t have that magic foot. I can start mine in gear with one kick, but I’m sure the day will come when it takes two. Or three. Or twenty-five.

I did ask the promoter about the reasoning behind the dead starts and the answer was so stupid I ignored it. Of course all the YZ/WR riders complain to him about this and I’m sure he’s tired of hearing about it. But I still would like to know why dead starts are used.

I think all the CRs that are passing me may be the same couple of guys each race, “Hey, there’s that Hick again. Let’s just follow him around the course, sooner or later he will stall it and then we can pass him…”

Wouldn’t surprise me…

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.