regrets, i've had a few

28 replies to this topic
  • TexN343

Posted June 27, 2007 - 02:54 PM

2 strokes still dominate the cross country world. It's alot easier to toss the lighter bike around for a extended period of time.

• yz4fun

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:39 PM

You say a 450 is tamer than a two stroke?Apples to Apples my yz 450 is way more brutle than my yz 250 two stroke power wise. What tall tree did you fall out of?

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:26 PM

You say a 450 is tamer than a two stroke?Apples to Apples my yz 450 is way more brutle than my yz 250 two stroke power wise. What tall tree did you fall out of?

Let me first assure you that I did not fall out of any tree. What that comment most likely referred to was the manageability of the power of a 450 vs. a 2T, not the gross quantity of it. At 49 hp +, the 450 certainly has more than any current 250 pinger, but it's more predictable and easily controlled than even a YZ250, and certainly more so than something like an RM250. The 450's power curve is broad and flat, a two-stroke's narrow and peaky. Plus, the part throttle response at speed on a 450 is vastly more linear. The pinger's throttle is more like an on-off switch.

• neevothespaniel

Posted June 28, 2007 - 03:42 AM

Let me first assure you that I did not fall out of any tree. What that comment most likely referred to was the manageability of the power of a 450 vs. a 2T, not the gross quantity of it. At 49 hp +, the 450 certainly has more than any current 250 pinger, but it's more predictable and easily controlled than even a YZ250, and certainly more so than something like an RM250. The 450's power curve is broad and flat, a two-stroke's narrow and peaky. Plus, the part throttle response at speed on a 450 is vastly more linear. The pinger's throttle is more like an on-off switch.

I would definately agree with the above comment. Before I got my bike (05 YZ450F) I had a go on a friends CR125 and the thing scared the poo out of me. I was a little apprehensive about getting a 450 but the thing is infinately more manageable :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:12 AM

IMO, the 450 i rode was tamer than my 250. :

I wouldn't exactly describe a 450 as "tamer" than a 250, however, if you already have a smooth right wrist, the 450's are more "forgiving" when the rider makes mistakes, such as entering a corner in too high of a gear. 450's are also sweet in the instance where you need to quickly loft the front wheel wheeling over whoops, and you need a solid blast of low end torque. The 250's seem to need a lot more precision in choosing gears and higher rpm's for a specific section of obsticles.

• bg10459

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:35 AM

IMO, the 450 i rode was tamer than my 250. i could handle a 450 easier. also, they take more kindly to "same RPM" riding than my CR. thats all i was saying.

....I would take the CR and turn it into a woods bike.....with flywheel weight and other offroad goodies

I'd listen to Ga426. A flywheel weight might be just the ticket for that CR. My old Husky 2T was like a tractor. You could almost stall it in a tight turn in 2nd gear and then just whack the throttle and off you go; no crazy wheelspin anywhere.

• RiderX

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:56 AM

What year CR250 are we talking about here? pre 02 they were easily tuned into an offroad weapon. A FWW, a Gnarly pipe, the right jetting, and you're set. 02-up they were case induction and much harder hitting.

Why don't you just sell the friggin CR and buy another YZ250F or a YZ426? You can pick up an early 2000's model for around $1500 or so. Sell that useless quad while you're at it.

• Wiz636

Posted June 28, 2007 - 01:05 PM

but it's more predictable and easily controlled than even a YZ250, and certainly more so than something like an RM250.

You ain't s***in' Gray! My RM definitely keeps one on their toes...but damn if it isn't a blast to ride.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 28, 2007 - 05:43 PM

What year CR250 are we talking about here? pre 02 they were easily tuned into an offroad weapon. A FWW, a Gnarly pipe, the right jetting, and you're set. 02-up they were case induction and much harder hitting.

Why don't you just sell the friggin CR and buy another YZ250F or a YZ426? You can pick up an early 2000's model for around $1500 or so. Sell that useless quad while you're at it.

i ride my quad more than i ride my bike and really like the quad. its alot different riding than MX. on my bike i giver and get a andreniline rush going, on my quad i relax and have some fun and explore a few neat areas. to simply say "useless" is a very stupid thing say!!!! its been used for fencing on our farm, going where the trucks would never dream to go on hunting and fishing trips, it has also been use to......HAVE SOME FUN ON!!!!!! in case your thinking sport quad you are all wrong, i even said 4x4 quad.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.