regrets, i've had a few

28 replies to this topic
  • Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 25, 2007 - 07:47 AM

hello all,

some of you may remember me. i was dead set on buying a 2006 YZ 450F but then decided to get a 4x4 quad instead :thumbsup: while i like the quad and ride it lots, it sure didn't replace the thrill of riding dirt bikes, so i bought myself a cheap CR 250. and ugh, i regret it so much. now, becuase of the 2 stroke i'm basically afriad to ride any where but the track. you cannot ride this thing down any striaght trail or gravel road. on my YZ 250F i used to just hop on, take a spin past the track(my local track is really close) or rip to the gravel pits and spin a few laps of a single track trail i love, now, i don't ride. my CR has sat in the garage for 4 weeks now becuase i have no way to get it to the track, or the track is too wet. if the track was too wet and i had a Yamaha thumper i'd just ride to the pits and ride all day and be happy. now theres a YZ 450F for sale, good price and i know the who the owners were. so, instead of having a bike that i'm pretty sure is stuck to my garage floor its been there so long i could have been ripping around on the bike of my dreams for a meer 1500 bucks more....shame on me :busted:

have fun on your YZ's boys, you have made the right choice by going with a four stroke, especially a yamaha 4 stroke.:thumbsup:

• Bigcr

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Why are you afraid to ride the two-stroke anywhere but the track?

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:47 PM

A two stroke isn't that hard to ride on gravel :thumbsup: Keep your weight back to keep the rear tire planted and keep it on the pipe while shifting so you don't get the abruptness of the hit in every gear.

But you're right, yami thumpers are better :thumbsup:

• blue9red9

Posted June 25, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Something is better than nothing. Ride on... and on your 2 stroke. It's doable or at least it had to be 8 years ago. There were no 250F / 450F bikes.

• steve_97060

Posted June 25, 2007 - 04:46 PM

I was wondering the same thing...

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:38 PM

i'm not afriad to ride it anywhere, its just stupid to rip down a road on a 2 stroke. for any length of time.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:39 PM

A two stroke isn't that hard to ride on gravel :thumbsup: Keep your weight back to keep the rear tire planted and keep it on the pipe while shifting so you don't get the abruptness of the hit in every gear.

But you're right, yami thumpers are better :thumbsup:

i don't need you to coach me on riding dirt bikes "keep your weight back to keep the tire planted" &%$#@! is that?

• Nitroused383

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:42 PM

i'm not afriad to ride it anywhere, its just stupid to rip down a road on a 2 stroke. for any length of time.

WTH are you talking about? It's sound like you made the right choice to me. If you cant handle a 2 stroke on gravel than the 450f wouldn't be a much better choice. The quad sounds like it fits you perfect.

• RCannon

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:34 PM

I am sorry you made the wrong choice..for you.

I must confess to riding my yz 250 on gravel and surviving. I'll never know how I did it, but I consider myself lucky to be here today. Once I also rode the bike over concrete. I am still too scared over that incident to talk about it...PTSD.

I dont understand. If your bike is jetted correctly, your engine will survive.

• Bigcr

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I dont understand. If your bike is jetted correctly, your engine will survive.

What he said.......Unless you're just skeeeeereded!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TuningFork426

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:35 PM

Something is better than nothing. Ride on... and on your 2 stroke. It's doable or at least it had to be 8 years ago. There were no 250F / 450F bikes.

the yz400 was out !!!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:52 PM

i don't need you to coach me on riding dirt bikes "keep your weight back to keep the tire planted" &%$#@! is that?

Try it. It'll keep the back end from goin side to side on ya on the gravel and since the surface is slippery you won't have the traction to wheelie. And like RC said if its jetted correctly it will survive sustained RPM riding.

Ah what the hell you don't need me to coach you on riding dirtbikes, you know it all already! :thumbsup:

• gomer334

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:06 PM

i have tons of friends with yz 250 and cr 250 and 125s welll they all do fine in the woods just as good as i do on the yz 400f gravle road pavement anywhere i think u just need to get on the bike and ride weelie down the road if u cant keep the front end down 5th gear weelies are fun on trails and pavement

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Try it. It'll keep the back end from goin side to side on ya on the gravel and since the surface is slippery you won't have the traction to wheelie. And like RC said if its jetted correctly it will survive sustained RPM riding.

Ah what the hell you don't need me to coach you on riding dirtbikes, you know it all already! :thumbsup:

you guys are something else. i have no trouble riding my bike down a gravel road, i do not lose control or feel scared at any time, its just i hate going brap braaap brap braaap brap brap brap braaaap non stop to keep the thing happy.

once on a gravel road i was on my YZ 250F and was doing "power slides" in 5gear WOT, well, needless to say one time i stuck it out too far and lost it, the bike didn't fall when i was doing the slide though it fell to the other side cuase i over corrected. bike went the ditch and i smacked my knee really hard on the road and slide on my back for a ways, my knees were really badly swollen and i still have scars on my back, i'll tell you picking out gravel for a week was one of the most unpleasant things i've ever done. also my worst knee was the kick start knee and i was alone and far from home, i'm not gonna lie i was in tears kicking the thing over :thumbsup:

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:05 AM

WTH are you talking about? It's sound like you made the right choice to me. If you cant handle a 2 stroke on gravel than the 450f wouldn't be a much better choice. The quad sounds like it fits you perfect.

sorry to be making so many posts but you guys have to understand.

IMO, the 450 i rode was tamer than my 250. i could handle a 450 easier. also, they take more kindly to "same RPM" riding than my CR. thats all i was saying. and yes the quad does fit me perfect and i enjoy riding it :thumbsup:

• mcfly

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:58 AM

I tried the 4 stroke motocross bikes, had 2 of them...sold them and bought another 2 stroke.
I am a happy guy again....I love my Kawi KX250, and its been more reliable than the 4 strokers, and even if it did have engine trubles, its 1/4 the cost and time to rebuild.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 26, 2007 - 03:49 PM

I hate riding on gravel roads...........I dont care what you are on. Too much speed into a corner and off the road you go.....
I do like 2 strokes and 4strokes.....I would take the CR and turn it into a woods bike.....with flywheel weight and other offroad goodies and get rid of the quad or (make it my bitch ride) and buy a new 08 450......:thumbsup:

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:06 PM

ya it would be nice but i never ride my CR so why would buying a brand new 2008 450 change that? it would be a waste of money. for me anyway.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:09 PM

sorry to be making so many posts but you guys have to understand.

IMO, the 450 i rode was tamer than my 250.

I can't argue with you there. Every 450 I've ridden has been more managable and happier at a sustained RPM. I misunderstood your original post, my bad :thumbsup:

• shipe

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:42 PM

What he said.......Unless you're just skeeeeereded!

Man, he bought a quad. case closed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.