Dumb question...L

7 replies to this topic
  • jaredc28

Posted June 24, 2007 - 08:51 PM

What's a spark arrestor and what does it do.:thumbsup:

• jbird710

Posted June 24, 2007 - 09:10 PM

It's basically a screen that keeps small pieces of hot stuff from coming out of your exhaust, potentially landing in some dry vegetation, and causing a fire. Muffler packing, pieces of hot metal from an engine, or hot carbon deposits that break free are kept in the exhaust system. Many riding areas require you have a spark arrestor; especially state or federal property. It isn't required on most motocross tracks.

• wahoogully

Posted June 24, 2007 - 10:26 PM

What's a spark arrestor and what does it do.:thumbsup:

It's a cheap little screen that cost me $175 when I forgot to put it back in before riding on BLM land. Teach me to f%*k with my muffler when I'm in a hurry. :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:56 AM

Honda puts this plate (#10) on muffler so every few years you can take it off, run the bike a bit to spit out the deposits that may be in there but once a machine gets so old, those bolts, at least usually one of them break off. If it's a old machine and the bolt feels like it's turning hard :thumbsup: leave it alone!

I'll bet most people never ever remove the plate, I tried it once on a model and hardly anything came out.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:20 AM

There are two main types of spark arrestor. The screen type that has already been described and the centrifical type. I think that they are also called Kirzman. Those work kind of like a Dyson vaccum. The arrestor has vanes that make the exhaust gases twist around. The possibly burning bits are thrown out of the gas stream and the gas goes out of the pipe. This is the type that Honda uses on your 650L. That's why you have to take the little plate off and blow it out from time to time. I've never had much come out on my XR600.

• jbird710

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:31 AM

That's right - the 650R uses a screen.

• jaredc28

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Honda puts this plate (#10) on muffler so every few years you can take it off, run the bike a bit to spit out the deposits that may be in there but once a machine gets so old, those bolts, at least usually one of them break off. If it's a old machine and the bolt feels like it's turning hard :thumbsup: leave it alone!

I'll bet most people never ever remove the plate, I tried it once on a model and hardly anything came out.

Posted Image

Ok, I have a 93' with a supertrapp exhaust (all the discs in). Do you have to have spark arrestors in these aftermarket pipes? And if so where do I get one?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Most pipes that have spark arrestors built into them have "USFS APPROVED SPARK ARRESTOR" stamped into them. Every Supertrapp that I had was a spark arrestor too. Look for that stamping.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.