Uncorked And She Started Right Up

2 replies to this topic
  • kjlong

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Well, Thanks to the help here and BRP, got the 2007 uncorked with the air box mod along with cutting out the intake restriction. The carb now has 68S pilot and a 175 main, plus the recommended needle jet in the 4th clip. Also has the Uni filter. I did the choke plate mod too. The exhaust got the 2" hole saw treatment. She started right up and seemed to run well. The idle was a little high so I adjusted it to a good idle. It is 10 p.m. and raining so no test ride. Maybe tomorrow.

I still have the Protaper bars and the Scotts top triple clamp and stablizer mount to do along with a Sidewinder set of sprockets and chain, plus a full ProCircuit exhaust to do.

She will get a Factory Connection respring for 220 lbs and the revalve front and back. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Congrats on the successes.

Keep an eye on your plug's condition to validate that the mixture is a good one for your engine.

• Thumpage

Posted July 12, 2007 - 10:23 PM

Well, Thanks to the help here and BRP, got the 2007 uncorked with the air box mod along with cutting out the intake restriction. The carb now has 68S pilot and a 175 main, plus the recommended needle jet in the 4th clip.

If what you mean by the "recommended" B53E 'Power up' needle, the 4th position is plainly too rich of a clip position. I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, I just want you and others to have your bikes set up right and have your bikes running with authority. The bikes are more sluggish when the clip is in the 4th position on the B53E needle. I tried it some time ago when I was experimenting with different mods and bike setup. It just does not pan out. The clip needs to stay in the middle third position with, again, the 'Power Up' B53E needle.

I have seen this a few times from newby list'ers as of late on the XR650R group as well and nobody had bothered to correct them. I tried at least once and it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I had been too busy to keep coming back to try and correct the few newbies that have said or done the same thing.
The stock needle is the one that you would use the clip in the 4th position from the top, NOT the B53E 'Power Up needle.
Maybe you have mistakenly meant to say you used the recommended clip position with the stock needle?
IMHO, I believe the Power Up B53E needle in the middle position to be the better choice than using the stock needle in the 4th position. The B53E needle is truly the needle designed for proper uncorking.
As for the drilling out of the tip, that's not the complete job either to equal the flow of what the uncorked jetting really needs. Read here Post #53 & #59: http://www.thumperta...t=464838&page=6

Once you correct and get your setup dialed in more along these lines, you will notice another step up in performance and it will put an even bigger smile on your face.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.