Clarity for checking valves

3 replies to this topic
  • Paewraul

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I have an 01 426 that is YZ timed, and I think I'm gonna try checking/adjusting the valves myself.
From what I've read here it seems like I have to put the timing back to WR to check the valves because the references for TDC are different?

Also, if I choose to install an auto-decomp cam, do I lose the ability to run the YZ timing?

Thanks!

• Mutu

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:17 PM

TDC is TDC, regardless of where the cams are timed. TDC is taken off the crank shaft. I put my engine at TDC before the valve cover is even off anyway.
So, to answer your question, no, don't have to change cam timing.

Use a YZ450F auto-decomp cam if you want auto-decomp. The WR450F cams are timed different to the YZ450F, meaning the auto-decomp is in a different position in relation to the cam lobe.

Checking valve clearances is easy, just follow your manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Paewraul

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:06 PM

ok, but do the clearance specs I'm lookng for change when YZ timed?

• dominator426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 02:22 AM

Valve clearance specs are still the same for a YZ timed WR, or for a YZ;
0.10 - 0.15 mm intake
0.20 - 0.25 mm exhaust

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.