what is the best 4 stroke engine oil?

9 replies to this topic
  • jasonr

Posted June 24, 2007 - 04:23 PM

• Countdown

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:41 PM

That is like asking what is the best beer!

• cleonard

Posted June 24, 2007 - 09:48 PM

I run Rotella, not because it might be "the best," but because it is good enough.

For me a group V 100% ester would be "the best." It will be $8 to $10 per quart and I would rather spend $9 per gallon.

• crazyal426

Posted June 24, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Rotella is great oil! Cheap and you can find it anywhere. But the best oil is going to have to be Amsoil. I have run all the rest and Amsoil is noticably better. Spendy, but worth the money.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:09 AM

That is like asking what is the best beer!

No, its not. best beer is an IMPORTANT question.

Best OIL doesn't really matter.

What is a GOOD oil is important, though.

Dave (Rotella 15W-40 user)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted June 25, 2007 - 09:35 AM

No, its not. best beer is an IMPORTANT question.

Best OIL doesn't really matter.

What is a GOOD oil is important, though.

Dave (Rotella 15W-40 user)

When you use Rotella you have enough $$$ left over to actually buy the important stuff (beer).

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Terrible Herbst Parrifin 'super oil' is my favorite. If you spill it, you can make the drippings into candles for your friends.

• Norm_Matzen

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:40 PM

I use Shell Rotella also. Just make sure it is the Synthetic Rotella, there is a standard oil called Shell Rotella.

There is an article somewhere on the 'net about oils for four stroke bikes and it favors Rotella Syn. I pay $13 at WalMart. Where do you get it for $9? or are you using the standard version?

• 2 Wheels

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:24 AM

There is an article somewhere on the 'net about oils for four stroke bikes and it favors Rotella Syn.

This might be the article you're talking about.

http://motorcycleinf....com/Oils1.html

Bottom line of the article is that synthetic oil is best, but Rotella synthetic, which is partially synthetic, is a pretty good oil for the price.

• glasseye

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Rotella is great oil! Cheap and you can find it anywhere. But the best oil is going to have to be Amsoil. I have run all the rest and Amsoil is noticably better. Spendy, but worth the money.

So just what did you notice that is better? I've used many different brands of oil and never noticed any difference except for when I used too high viscosity and the clutch started hanging.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.