A quick blip of the thottle and the engine dies

9 replies to this topic
  • Skip

Posted September 10, 2000 - 02:56 PM

Hope you guys can help. I have a stock '00 WR400, I just broke in the engine, I also just cut down the rev limiter screw to the recommended height (some peole say 8.5mm others say 9mm, I cut it down to 9mm to play it safe)
Now when I give a quick blip of the the thottle to about 1/4 open the engine dies. The rev limiter doesn't have any thing to do with this,right? I checked the needle seat to see if there was any grit in it, there wasn't, should I raise the needle up or down? It has the the stock jets in it.
The bike is extremely clean too, as in the airfilter/airbox

• Clark_Mason

Posted September 10, 2000 - 07:28 PM

There are lots of jetting stuff on the site just search but I will offer the following to get you started.

Put in a 48 pilot jet

Run the fuel screw at 1.5 turns out

use a minimum of a 175 main jet

Run the stock DRS needle in the #4 or #5

You really should ditch the stock DRS needle and run a DVP in the #5 or #4 slot.

Should be good for sea level to 4000 ft of altitude.

Happy Trails

Clark

• Taffy

Posted September 11, 2000 - 01:16 AM

make sur ethat when you open the throttle your accelerator pump jet is squirting fuel. Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 11, 2000 - 03:05 AM

mine was doing the same thing I had to clean my excelerator pump... or how ever you spell it .... the rod that goes into the pump gets dust and dirt in it so try that

• cphillis

Posted September 11, 2000 - 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Skip:
Hope you guys can help. I have a stock '00 WR400, I just broke in the engine, I also just cut down the rev limiter screw to the recommended height (some peole say 8.5mm others say 9mm, I cut it down to 9mm to play it safe)
Now when I give a quick blip of the the thottle to about 1/4 open the engine dies. The rev limiter doesn't have any thing to do with this,right? I checked the needle seat to see if there was any grit in it, there wasn't, should I raise the needle up or down? It has the the stock jets in it.

I have the same thing with my WR and I have tried to cure it, there is no cure, the four stroke will always have this hesitation it is not like a two stroke. You can try richen up the pilot jet but that is about it. When you ride the bike the hesitation is gone because the higher rpm's. but from a idle and you wick the throttle it will hesitate or die. Just once in a while I can get a hesitation on accel when I am riding on a track but that is it. If you do find a cure post it for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Skip

Posted September 12, 2000 - 07:31 PM

I think I fixed it. I dropped the 'e' clip down one slot (#4) richened it up a bit it seems to work with the stock jets. It seems to be running fine. The neighbors hate me though from 'testing' all weekend. Oh one more thing. I know on mine the rev limiter was cut wrong,am I the only one? (the dealer said 8.5mm from the bottom of the head) the end of the bolt comes no where near the stop.To keep from over reving it. I got a new bolt (12mm) from the bottom of the head. This (at least on mine) works. I've read that everyone is using pliers to remove this limiter it's a 5mm allen bolt on mine. I just used an allen key it came right out. Maybe 5 min at the most. Keihin slide carb. The picture on the web page I looked at looks like a different carb than mine ('00) Sorry I'm new to this bike, like most of us. Thanks for this kick ass page guys/(girls?) I'm so used to 2 strokes, taking a bit to get used to. I DO like NOT fowling plugs all of the time!

• Skip

Posted September 12, 2000 - 11:42 PM

Oh yeah almost forgot...I turned the fuel screw out 1.5 turns.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 13, 2000 - 05:01 AM

Skip why mess with cutting the throttle stop? Just buy the one for the 426 and install it! :)

• Skip

Posted September 13, 2000 - 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Greg C.:
Skip why mess with cutting the throttle stop? Just buy the one for the 426 and install it! :)

Well it's done now!!! Thanks anyway

• Kermit

Posted September 17, 2000 - 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Skip:

Just let you know It's working great now. I listed below what I did. Of coarse I'll have too play with it again when I switch the timing to YZ and a better pipe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.