XR 400!!?

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 06:34 AM

I just bought a Honda XR 400 '98, with the aloop mx seat/tank/rads kit(www.aloop.com). do you guys know any hop up tricks for the XR 400?

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 12, 2000 - 01:15 PM

Exhaust! This bike is corked up big time. Dirt bike tested lots of pipes/headers for this bike probably a year ago. I'd go to dirtbikemagazine and check out their archives.

Remove the airbox snorkel and backfire screen in the filter. It has a metal mesh layer sandwiched between two fine metal screens. Cut the first screen on the airbox side and romove the metal mesh.

This is all I did to my 96 XR 250 and it was great. I believe that Powerol (Bend, OR) makes a 440 kit that is pretty awesome. You might want to check it out.

Have fun!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 01:37 PM

Check out white bros dyno chart for your bike. The horse power gains for the 400 650 are amazing. I would bet a pipe would be the best way to go.
http://www.whitebros...ffman/XR400.pdf
Nick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted September 12, 2000 - 04:16 PM

MXA magazine did a story on the xr400 and told everything to do. There is a different carb needle to use, also they said an K&N air filter is the best type for the xr400, remove the airbox snorkel, and use their jetting specs (it varies depending on the other mods but they tell you everything). I don't know what issue it was, about 9 months ago or so. I'd check their website and email them for the back issue, I've emailed them about stuff and they are very helpful.

http://www.motocross...com/default.asp

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• fowler175

Posted September 15, 2000 - 10:51 PM

I believe you can purchase an exhuast tip for a 96' xr400 from honda for around $40-$50 to replace the one on your 98'. It's a cheaper alternative than an aftermarket system and is said to produce about 2-3 extra horses.

------------------
You mean my bike has FIVE gears?

• MotoGreg

Posted September 16, 2000 - 04:27 PM

Ya, the '96-'97 has an opening about double the size of the newer ones.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.