Any Issues to look for on a used 2004 WR450?

6 replies to this topic
  • MX974

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:40 PM

I am considering buying a used bike, Any Issues to look for on a used 2004 WR450?

• Mutu

Posted June 24, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Not really. They are one of the best model WR's.
They got 2.6 gal fuel tank and 12.5:1 compression.
They went to 2.1 gal fuel tank and 12.3:1 compression in '05.

The only thing is green sticker for you guy's?

• bageera

Posted June 25, 2007 - 04:58 AM

Just a couple of things I would look close at.

1. How does it shift? Will it shift easily between 1st and 2nd sitting still with the clutch pulled in? look for clutch hub grooving.

2. General shifting smoothness. The Shifting forks in the trans. sometimes wear prematurely and can cause gear failure. Pay attention and FEEL the shifting up and down the gears.

3. Plan on replacing wheel and head set bearings soon on a 04' bike. Listen to the rear suspension linkage for any sounds of wear, look for oil leakage or abrasion on the shock shaft.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:45 PM

I think the 04s had the crappy rubber yamaha decompression plugs. You'd have to upgrade to the TT aluminum plug or equivilent. The 05 head was a different casting and didn't have the hole.

• ARin

Posted June 25, 2007 - 02:33 PM

the last of the great WR's.

i just love saying that:p :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Vegemite_luva

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Just general used bike buying tips. Look/touch/smell all fluids(except brake), check that all bolts are tight and actually there, check the airfilter and box(dirty box and filter means lazy owner), check the front shocks for leakage, lower frame rails for damage, subframe for chain damage, loose/damaged spokes, I can go on and on.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 27, 2007 - 09:09 AM

the last of the great WR's.

Agreed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.