What would you buy for a second bike?

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 06, 2000 - 11:43 AM

I have been having an excellent time on my 2000WR. I want to buy a second bike, for my (broke) friends to ride - but also so I have something else I can ride for variety? If you could have any second bike for the sheer love of riding, what would it be?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 06, 2000 - 12:02 PM

1992-1996, 2000,2001 Honda CR250, Honda CR500.

------------------
99 WZ, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards. Moab, HERE I COME!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 06, 2000 - 12:06 PM

Kevin - interesting, a 2001 CR250 is currently my top choice - not far behind are the KTM 2 stroke EXC's (200/250 etc)

• Gary_Kessler

Posted September 06, 2000 - 12:20 PM

I'd lean toward (in order of preference):
yz250F - 4 banger. small, light
KTM 250sx - 2 stroker
or a Honda XR250 for just puttin'

• James_Dean

Posted September 06, 2000 - 01:24 PM

1) 2001 CR250, Light and fast
2) KTM200EXC, Light and well equipped

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted September 06, 2000 - 02:12 PM

XR 400
95-99 KX250 (love that powerband)
KTM 380 SX/MXC I’ve always wondered how fast these are to ride, I know how fast they are to race against up a sand wash...

All the above bikes could keep up with my Yammy (more or less, anyway) plus I wouldn't mind riding them in a pinch. To me, especially if ridden intermittently, there isn't much difference between any modern 2-stroke MX bike, especially to my broke friends. I am currently looking for a used 250 for the same reason you are and just want a good deal. But a used XR is very tempting. They usually fetch a bit more than a flogged MXer, but bullet-proof reliablility makes ‘em worth it.

My buddy just grabbed a ’99 CR 250 for $3,300, if you can believe that, and it is in great shape too; the stickers even look good.

Maybe I should just buy a used YZ/WR! That would save on spare parts but it might be depressing to step off my 426 onto a 400. Even more depressing getting on an XR I know but at least you are riding a different bike instead of a slower version of your favorite bike…

…but sometimes I miss the smell of burning premix. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 06, 2000 - 03:04 PM

Excellent replies - by the way, I had a 1999 XR 400, but found it was simply no fun to ride after getting off the WR. Heavy, soft, and not much power. Sure it was comfy and easy to ride, but I never rode it ever; it was ONLY a bike for broke friends.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 06, 2000 - 04:58 PM

I was just wondering if need any new friends........ If I qualify... do I get to choose my "own bike".... and can I keep it at my house?..... Did I ever tell you that I think you are the coolest guy I ever met? .... You are funny, intelligent and interesting.... and I meant to ask you... Have you been working out lately?

• Kermit

Posted September 16, 2000 - 04:20 PM

Originally posted by DeBarker:
I was just wondering if need any new friends........ If I qualify... do I get to choose my "own bike".... and can I keep it at my house?..... Did I ever tell you that I think you are the coolest guy I ever met? .... You are funny, intelligent and interesting.... and I meant to ask you... Have you been working out lately?

Oh Man, that is funny got a good harty laugh out of me!

• Bill

Posted September 16, 2000 - 06:28 PM

The YZ250F. That's what I'm buying next year. I never like to buy "new-technology" the first year out...I want to see if there are any "bugs" to be sorted out.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.