Help Please...XR650R Stalled, now wont start

24 replies to this topic
  • calgaryfiddy

Posted June 24, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hey everyone, picked up an XR650R on friday night. Rode it 3-4 cycles friday night, they rode it about 8-10 cycles saturday...for about 4 hours.
Park it in the garage, start it up Sunday morning, and let it warm for a few mins, ride 5 mins to drug store, come back out, ride 2 mins to hardware store, ride 5 mins down the road at 80 km/h and then start rolling to a stop for a light, shift it into neutral and release clutch to coast and the bike stalls. I quickly shifted into 1st while i was rolling to try to bump start it...it thumped 3 times and by then i was at the side of the road.

I cannot get this thing restarted. I've looked at the wiring which the previous owner did a terrible job of...but im getting good spark, the plug was a little dark but it was dry, not carbon fouled. Definately not tan though. Cracked open the fuel drain on the carb and let it run out.

Removed the airfilter, tried with full choke, half choke, no choke. It will thump 3 times like it wants to fire on the next kick but it will never start up. I left the spar plug wire off once to hear what it sounds like with no spark and it is definately different.

The only thing i can think of is if timing is off. Which means the ignition control module under the seat is pooched correct ??

I'll take the carb off now and clean it out with some carb cleaner...I don't understand how it could stall as i was riding though. It was behaving normally up until the point it stalled. I had been in neutral at a stop light not 3 mins before it stalled.

HELP...i've got a manual...i'll bring my multimeter home from work tomorrow and go throughthe ICM checks...

anyideas ??

• tggray01

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:10 PM

could very well be the carb; some crap from the tank could have restricted the fuel flow. Is there an in-line fuel filter? If not, maybe replace the fuel line and put in a filter.

• pwrpapa

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hows the compression?

• GIANTac1

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:25 PM

Are you out of gas? Tried reserve?

• calgaryfiddy

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:07 PM

Haven't checked compression, its a 2002, i can usually kick it through without using the compression release but if i do hit the right spot itll stop me dead... i'm not heavyweight at 160 but that shows me compression should be good enough to run. I'll check at work tomorrow, tank near full with Esso premium, i ran a tank through it already since i bought it. I've removed the tank and turned on the fuel valve to make sure fuel is flowing well.

I took the carb off and sprayed everything with carb cleaner, took the float bowl off and blew some carb clean around there.

When i roll it down my hill and try to bump start it it thump thump thumps with the piston until it has no more momentum to roll.

I redid most of his wiring, everything needed to run is tight and like i said i have spark, tail light and headlight pulse bright as i kick it, fuel runs out the carb drain.

I'm stumped, and tired, and pissed off oh and hungry too, i have some dinner in the frying pan now. I'll probably take it into work, theres a few guys there with bikes...and we're all toyota mechanics...plus one guy who races...Erzberg/Last man standing...we should be able to figure it out.

• dick757

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:26 PM

Do you have a Dakar or baja kit on it
I have one and the circuit board went, when that happened, nothing, had to take it out and re-wire back to stock

Another thing is it could have jumped its timing or messed a valve

Not a 4 stroke guru, but those are a couple things that happened to me over the years
The Dakar circuit board was the only thing that happened to me on the BRP

Good Luck

• calgaryfiddy

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:10 PM

It has a UFO plastics front headlight/signals on it. How can i check or adjust timing without the bike running ? I pulled the stator cover off and everthing looked ok i guess...

if the headlight kit was causing problems...i suspect i would have no spark at all, it shouldn't alter timing all of a sudden. The previous owner rode it for 2 months with no problems, i assured him i'm not pissed off i just want the honest truth has it stalled or done the same thing and he said no problems at all its been bulletproof.

I'm completey lost, i may go out and fool with the pilot screw...but why would it quit from that ?? I bought it locally...same riding conditions...

This sucks...i wanted to ride it to work tomorrow, and the next day...and the next day...

• chuck2000

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:44 PM

I'm no expert, but here's a thought. The symptoms that you describe sound just like you ran out of gas (or plugged jet, etc.). Is it possible to shoot a little fuel directly into the carb to see if it fires when you crank it?

• bosshog

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Since you have spark I would also look into the carb. Likely just needs some crap cleaned out. I'ld start there anyway. Mine was stalling sometimes at stop signs and that's all it took to cure it. It never got so bad it wouldn't start though.

Longshot but did you turn up the idle to restart it? I do when it's cold but if you turn to high it will be hard to start like you describe. Just grasping at straws here.

Bosshog

• tggray01

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I mentioned the fuel lines earlier; my 650l has done something less dramatic a while back but didn't have too much trouble starting back up. All that hard riding that you have done has broken up the buildup in the carb I really think. I suggest getting some "Seafoam" from an autoparts store (like $6 for half a liter or so) and just dissolves the sediment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pwrpapa

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Yep, try some starting fluid. if it fires than it's a fuel problem.

• Scotty Breauxman

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:54 PM

sounds like a valve adjust to me

• Old_Man_Time

Posted June 24, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Also take a good look at the plug wire. They have been know to wear and ground out against the frame. When your testing the plug for spark you most likely would have the wire free from rubbing on the frame so you would see spark. I know it's a long shot but it is listed as one of the trouble spots for the big XR650R.

• calgaryfiddy

Posted June 24, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Ok some success...had some dinner and cleared my head. Walked outside and with the help of some german relatives...he's a helicopter mechanic in the army and likes messing with Samson bikes...

removed the spark plug again, just going through his checks...same stuff i did, checked for spark, yes, same as i had, checked for fuel running out of petcock, yes...kicked it over several times to check for flooding etc.

Then he said maybe its the setting...so i remembered the 3/4 out pilot screw adjustment for initial warmup...still wouldn't start...bumped the idle screw/throttle stop and 2 kicks and she fired.

Adjusted idle down but when you roll on the throttle now it hangs...all the linkage is smooth, throttle valve closes when you force the throttle back.

So im assuming a lean mixture...correct. The pilot screw was turned almost 2.5 turns out from the previous owner. I have it set at about 1.5 right now. I'm going to ride to work and get my tachometer on it...and maybe a 02 sensor in the fitting he welded in.

No amount of pilot screw adjustment would free up the hanging rpm. It is somewhat noticeable when riding, only when coming to a stop, and it doesnt chop down when you let off the throttle. So i guess its close for now, hopefully between my coworkers and i we can get it figured out tmorrow.

Thanks for your help guys...i'm happy for now. Its still not perfect but its rideable.

Still have no idea how overnight the riding conditions changed so much that the idle/pilot mixture got screwed up. Unless someone screwed with my throttle stop at my last stop before stalling. But its kind of hard to get at.

Ok i can sleep well tonight.

• martinfan30

Posted June 24, 2007 - 08:27 PM

garage gremlins bro!! set out some traps next to the pig!:thumbsup:

• RodeHard

Posted June 24, 2007 - 11:51 PM

I'm assuming you have a kill switch or at least a handlebar mounted horn/turnsignal/headlight/kill switch. Anyway take it all apart and make sure all of your contacts are clean. Sometimes taking a little emery cloth and roughing up contacts will help also. Sounds strange that everything was working just fine up until it just quit. Sounds like an electrical problem to me.

• tdamore

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:25 AM

My 650r had a slight hanging idle when I got it. I ended up adjusting the throttle cables and the valves and now it is perfect. :thumbsup:

• Shawn_Mc

Posted June 25, 2007 - 04:57 PM

No amount of pilot screw adjustment would free up the hanging rpm. It is somewhat noticeable when riding, only when coming to a stop, and it doesnt chop down when you let off the throttle. So i guess its close for now, hopefully between my coworkers and i we can get it figured out tmorrow.

Thats sounds like a throttle cable adjustment to me. I'd check the cable for fraying or the vinyl casings rubbed open and they can rust and hang up. There really should be a tiny bit of play in the throttle tube before it opens the slide. That way you know the slide is returning all the way down to the bottom of the throat and settling on the idle speed screw. Id also take the pilot jet out and make sure it clean. It doenst take much to obstruct it. A single grain of sand is usually enough.

• bosshog

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:04 PM

"So im assuming a lean mixture...correct. The pilot screw was turned almost 2.5 turns out from the previous owner. I have it set at about 1.5 right now."

you are making it leaner by turning the pilot screw in on the XR. It's a fuel screw.

• Butta

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:32 PM

"So im assuming a lean mixture...correct. The pilot screw was turned almost 2.5 turns out from the previous owner. I have it set at about 1.5 right now."

you are making it leaner by turning the pilot screw in on the XR. It's a fuel screw.

Thank you!!! I was just about to answer with this....

Anyway, check which jets are in the carb....I've found in the many used bikes I've had, most are improperly jetted. Just bought a 2001 BRP and swapped a 152 main for a 165....same elevation. With the mods on the bike, that's what it ought to be....

Pilot jet could be off, as well.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.