graphics turning from white to yellow..............

16 replies to this topic
  • TuningFork426

Posted June 24, 2007 - 02:56 PM

is there anything i can use to remove the yellow?

• 642MX

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:05 PM

I don't think you can remove the yellow. Its from the gas fumes coming thru the plastic tank.

• TuningFork426

Posted June 24, 2007 - 04:23 PM

o man......................thats lame.

• Modmotoman

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Drain your fuel at the end of the day before parking it and your stickers and tank will keep their color 8 times longer then letting it sit all week with gas eating at the plastic and graphic kit.
Its better for your fuel too beings the bikes gas tank is vented and this only flatens the gas over the week.

• tnl

Posted June 25, 2007 - 06:33 AM

My graphics are truning yellow mostly on the right side pannel at the exhaust pipe but everywhere else too. Factory effex graphics. About 1.5 years old.

• mmbasa

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Stop washing with Simple Green.

• tnl

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:35 PM

LOL...Uthoo you must have been there? Is that really true cause I have been using it for years now and would make sense?

• El Marko

Posted June 25, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Everything wears out over time. Graphics too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UltraHyper

Posted June 25, 2007 - 02:57 PM

I've tried a bunch of sh@# nothing worked bought a new decal kit

• TuningFork426

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:28 PM

I tried armor all protectant, armor all cleaner, car wash soap, plast x, car polish, car wax(no idea why i tried the last 2 hope i guess)

no results at all, guess ill just buy a graphics kit even though the shroud graphics are still like new.

Thanks for the keep the gas out when not riding recommendation.

• yamahaboy99

Posted June 26, 2007 - 04:26 PM

2 words...soft scrub. Take some soft scrub put it on a soft cloth and rub it into the graphics. Makes them white just like new again. Ive been doing that for years and I even use that stuff on white boots and that makes them white again as well. Your welcome :-)

• TuningFork426

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Really?......... sweet!!! i will try it.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:33 PM

The reason that nothing you put on the outside of tank graphics will turn them white again is because they turn yellow from the inside out, not the other way around. But have fun scrubbing if you like.

• yamahaboy99

Posted June 26, 2007 - 05:44 PM

It takes like 30 seconds to bring the color back not 5-10 min. The white on my graphics dont usually turn yellow, the white turns dirt brown or something from my pants.

• motoag93

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:08 PM

I'm no expert but know a little about plastics. The PVC could be degrading due to either UV exposure or chemical degredation. This could be accelerated due to permeation of the PVC by hydrocarbons.

If this is the case.....there is only one thing to do. Replace em.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I'm no expert but know a little about plastics. The PVC could be degrading due to ... chemical degredation... accelerated (by) permeation of the PVC by hydrocarbons.

If this is the case.....there is only one thing to do. Replace em.

A wordy, long winded, and otherwise precisely correct way of saying what has already been said; the tank graphics turn because the fuel fumes come up under them through the tank itself. Note that the shroud graphics right next to the tank don't turn like that. You can't scrub it off, because it's not on, it's IN.

• jamiehughes

Posted June 27, 2007 - 10:27 AM

thank god the newer bike have graphics just on the shrouds, as long as you don't take a ground sample they will stay looking good for a long time.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.