Setting up Scotts damper

3 replies to this topic
  • ScottyR

Posted September 15, 2000 - 07:44 AM

Where do you guys seem to set your damper the most? I just put mine on last night and cant wait to try it! I generally ride in tighter eastern hare scrambles and enduros. I see Scotts says to set it 10 clicks in from the hardest as a baseline. How far do you deviate from that? Thanks! Scotty

• Dougie

Posted September 15, 2000 - 09:46 PM

I find I leave it pretty much stock settings, between 8 and 9 out from hard with the stock sweep settings. If I come up on rock I turn it in 2 more to hard and if I am on an open trail with washboards and whoops at high speed I go in 3 to hard.

I have yet to mess with the sweep settings. Not sure what that means really or how it will affect the dampner.

As a side note, I am also convinced this thing really save me from serious body and bike damage. Once on a headon collision and once when I ran into a tree. Both time I glanced off the object instead of having the bars ripped out of my hands and sent over the handlebars.

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.
(Except the dampner :))

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted September 15, 2000 - 01:57 PM

Like Dougie, my Scott’s paid for itself through a reduction in medical expenses. Plus, I think it saved me from a few get offs in deep whoops in my last race, it is good at mitigating a wide range of ugly feedback before it gets to the rider.

Sweep screws change the range of steering motion over which the unit will damp. So more sweep means the steering is damped almost all the way to each stop, less means the damping force lets off well before each stop. I messed with it and at max sweep I could feel too much resistance in tight turns. I ended up back on stock setting. In really tight stuff I can see how the lowest sweep setting may benefit your endurance, so perhaps you should experiment with that.

But the only time I notice it is there is when I look like this: :)

I don’t know how many clicks, but mine stays a half turn out from full and I will sometimes change this one click harder. Things seem to get REALLY stiff right around a quarter turn out. I don’t think I’ve ever changed it more than one click in either direction during a ride or race.

I never touched the high speed adjuster.

You’re gonna love this thing Scotty, especially in rocks. You will soon be wondering, like me and Dougie, how you ever lived without it.

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted September 15, 2000 - 03:35 PM

I only adjust the clickers not the sweep or the other? adjustment. Been told by a number of people that the stock settings are fine.

On the clickers I am 6 to 10 clicks out. Less outs clicks (= more stiff) on trails and more clicks out (= less stiff) on mx tracks.

I love this thing. The first 2 times I went out to the Glen Helen MX track I thought "I don't see the big deal". The first time on trails and especially in sand, I knew it was great.

Try riding a bike that doesn't have one after you have gotten used to yours. Its amazing.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.