Is it possible to bend rims back?

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 11, 2000 - 09:02 PM

While washing my bike from this last weekend’s ride I discovered that I bent the rim flange (rear rim)(for lack of better terminology) outward about 3/16”. Can I bend it back without causing the rim to crack. If it is possible to straighten, what is the best way?

I have been running 15 psi. in the rear tire and was very surprised to see that I bent the rim.

‘00 WR, ‘86 TRX250R Mine
‘00 KX125, ‘98 TRX300EX Wifes

• Matt_Porritt

Posted September 11, 2000 - 09:44 PM

Yip.. just beat it back with a nylon faced hammer or a ball pein with a piece of 4x2 between the rim and hammer face.

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CraigW

Posted September 12, 2000 - 09:55 PM

Place your rim with the tyre still on and inflated in a large bench vice. Use two lengths of aluminium on each side of the rim to protect the rim from the vice jaws. Preferably, the pieces of aluminium should be positioned to spread the load on the unbend side and concentrate it on the bent section (different lengths).

Tighten up the vice slowly and watch your rim come back into shape. This procedure won't take out a flat spot but is very effective in curling a rim lip back.

The first time I tried it I couldn't believe how effective a simple process like this worked.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 13, 2000 - 08:35 AM

Craig. This works with the tire inflated? Sounds simple enough, might be worth a try.

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• CraigW

Posted September 15, 2000 - 05:59 AM

You must spread the vice clamp load across as much rim lip on the unbent side as possible. Conversely, the bent lip will act as a concentrated load point. Having the tyre fully inflated also assists in opposing the load on the unbent side. There may be certain types of bends that dont straighten too well. However ,it definitely is worth considering this method as an alternative.

I personally have had very favourable results, with the end product producing no hammer and ding marks in my rims (DIDs).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.