Road gearing?

25 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted July 17, 2007 - 04:23 PM

ya ive read posts elsewhere here in tt and some say it worked. WELL, it doesnt!

• NY_SXR700

Posted July 18, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Being new to the bike thing, is there a way to tell how large my rear sprocket is, stamped into the metal or something (bike is 86' XL600R). The former owner thinks it's an aftermarket 47, the front I can count the teeth (I guess I could do that on the rear also). I do mostly road riding and at 65/70mph it's at the most rev's I would want to give it (and it vibrates your hands/ass with the high rev's). Also, who sells parts for a bike this old? Are they the same bolt pattern as new ones.

UPDATE: I should have looked before asking. A little wire brush and I found a 48 on the rear and a 15 on the front.

• martinfan30

Posted July 18, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Being new to the bike thing, is there a way to tell how large my rear sprocket is, stamped into the metal or something (bike is 86' XL600R). The former owner thinks it's an aftermarket 47, the front I can count the teeth (I guess I could do that on the rear also). I do mostly road riding and at 65/70mph it's at the most rev's I would want to give it (and it vibrates your hands/ass with the high rev's). Also, who sells parts for a bike this old? Are they the same bolt pattern as new ones.

UPDATE: I should have looked before asking. A little wire brush and I found a 48 on the rear and a 15 on the front.

that is the setup i use on my 650l but i do 60-40 street dirt. you should do like Huffa and run 15/42 for your riding.

parts are plentiful! bikebandit, xr's only, local shops, everywhere!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NY_SXR700

Posted July 19, 2007 - 06:07 AM

Thanks, I called the local shop and ordered new front and rear and chain. I went back to stock 15/43 with all new Sunstar sprockets and 520-104 DID chain all for 120.00 and I can pick them up tomorrow.

• NY_SXR700

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Ohh, how sweet it is!! 150 miles on the new 15/43 setup and it's sooooo much better than the 15/48. The bike shifts better, has more power for a longer amount of time, does better wheelies in 2nd because the motor does not over rev as soon as before. It was winding out @70mph in 5th and now it's fine @80 in 4th and 5th is over drive.... How sweet it is!

• smicer

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Good i found this thread...i was looking for the best ratio...thanks guys...

i would only wheelie after 3rd gear...i somehow have a feeling if i do it on the 2nd,i would just flip the bike...oh yeah...currently running 14/45...good on the roads...but so much draggy on the dirt...i think i'm gonna switch to either 14/48 or 15/45..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.