is it common to find metal shavings on your oil filter

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 13, 2000 - 01:08 PM

I just bought a used 99 wr400 awhile ago. So far every time I change the oil I find what looks to me is fine metal shavings. Is this common or should I start to worry.....
The bike has low hours so I was told...

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted September 13, 2000 - 01:25 PM

Yes it's pretty normal, the older it gets the less you find. The first couple of oil changes I even had blue paint and gasket sealer in my filter and screen!! I've got about 18oo miles on her now and I don't see alot of filings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted September 13, 2000 - 05:05 PM

I have a 99 WR400 with 2000 km's and i am still finding small amounts of metal on the filter but when i got the bike from new there was a lot of metal shavings for about the first 3 changes.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 13, 2000 - 05:06 PM

Chances are if you are still showing a lot of metal in your filter then the guy that sold you the bike wasnt lying about the low hours.
Change the oil frequently untill the metal disapears. After a while it will disapate.

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• James_Dean

Posted September 14, 2000 - 07:15 PM

Same thing for my '00 WR, filter had metal shavings and bits of what looked like clutch debris from break in.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.