Hole in the Head anyone?

9 replies to this topic
  • starcruiser

Posted June 23, 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hey, hi all. Has anyone out there had any experience, or luck, in bogging up holes in an XR head? My XR600 has a 5mm hole in the head on the front right side, between the second and third cooling fins not far from the header clamp bolt. I'm thinking of giving it a complete clean, degrease and dry, and then using a bog such as an exhaust putty or some kinda epoxy, any tips in fixing Ol' Holey, and smokey... and ol' pain in the butt. Thanks, p.

• captb

Posted June 23, 2007 - 10:26 PM

If it's thick enough maybe drill and tap it and install a allen set screew or heliarc weld.

• cleonard

Posted June 23, 2007 - 10:55 PM

You could try a product called JB weld. It is a filled epoxy. The website http://jbweld.net/ says that it is good to 500 degrees F (260C), and can take short excursions to 600F (315C). The head temp should top out at about 500 so it might work. Most epoxy's cant take that much heat. I know that JB weld woks great on cracked side covers, but they are a little cooler than the head. It's worth a try and the price is right. You can always grind it out and weld it later if it doesn't work.

• Rman of 237

Posted June 23, 2007 - 11:08 PM

How did it happen?:thumbsup:
Rman..

• Jon-D

Posted June 24, 2007 - 06:12 AM

You could try a product called JB weld. It is a filled epoxy. The website http://jbweld.net/ says that it is good to 500 degrees F (260C), and can take short excursions to 600F (315C).

This would be my suggestion as well. I know a tuner that has used JB weld for several years to shape intake ports for better performance. I have not heard of any problems and he still uses it so I think you will be fine if you decide to go that route.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • starcruiser

Posted June 24, 2007 - 01:18 PM

How it happened? That's the million dollar question. I really don't know.

• starcruiser

Posted June 24, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Cool, thanks, I'll give it a try. I am always keen to give products a damn good workout. If it works I'll post a thread and let you all know if this stuff (JB Weld) really works on a tricky repair. The repair is in a spot which is oily, hot and strangely shaped; it's conical shaped and therefore prone to spitting out a plug of epoxy, cold weld or putty. If the JB Weld doesn't hold it may require the suggested threading and screw solution, or a heliarc weld. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, p.

• Jon-D

Posted June 24, 2007 - 02:31 PM

can you post a photo?

• tggray01

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hey Cleonard; so where exactly did you find the information for the temperature of the head? I used some high temperature black paint to paint the headers (1200F) and it kind of bubbled. I cleaned the area up very well (sanded and washed). Could it just be due to the humidity? It suggested 60% max and I was probably pushing it....that might just answer my question

• starcruiser

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:58 PM

can you post a photo?

Hi, about a photo... that'd be tricky as the hole is so well-recessed between the fins - on the front of the head - that to see it properly I need to shine a torch in. It's just an odd shaped, but mostly circular hole. It maybe due to age or a shoddy backyard mechanic, who knows?
The hole itself is small, about 5mm max, but as I said it's annoying and stinky enough to warrant a repair as it spits oil onto the header pipes, and as useful as a 'constant loss' oil system can be - not - it needs sorting. Cheers, I'll keep you posted.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.