Crankcase pressure

2 replies to this topic
  • RiderX

Posted June 23, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Just picked up a used '00 YZ426. There's quite a bit of blowby coming out of the crankcase vent hose. No oil, just air....do these motors create a lot of crankcase pressure? Also I figured I'd change the oil before I rode it since I don't know the maintenance history on it and there's quite a bit of fine metal shavings in the filter and filter cavity. Should I flush the motor?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted June 23, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Yes and Yes.

I've always found aluminum shavings in my oil filter since the bike was new and they do create some crankcase pressure.

Most of the 426's are bullet-proof. Keep the oil fresh and the air filter clean and they last forever.

• brolo747

Posted June 24, 2007 - 12:10 AM

I imagine the shavings you are seeing are from the clutch. Replace it with a billet one as soon as possible. The yz/f, cr/f,kx/f are all notorious for having crappy cast aluminum baskets that groove out real fast then your f-plates will lock into the basket and no more clutchy worky. So at the least replace your clutch basket with a decent billet one. WWW.motosport.com has got one for around 139.99 (PE is the brand) that I have heard good things about. Otherwise you are looking at about 170 - 250 for a hinson or barnett or other name brand.

O yea and the breather tube just shoots out air... If you want to have fun plug it for a while and see what happpens. J/k:naughty: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.