Oil Filters

3 replies to this topic
  • CMH

Posted September 12, 2000 - 06:12 PM

What's the skinny. Is everyone buying the Yamaha oil filters; or are there some others out there that are cheaper, with the same quality? What are some ideas of oil the guys are using these days. I hate to sound cheap, but when you try to change it once a week or so it gets kind of costly.
Thanks again CMH

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 13, 2000 - 04:45 AM

The last time I went to buy a filter I didn't see the guy I normally deal with, so I asked some new guy for a filter. He brought me out some aftermarket brand. I pulled it out of the box, it looked very cheap. I was about to ask for the oem filter when out from the back my normal guy walks out. I asked him about this aftermarket filter, he says "I wouldn't use it, I have heard of these seperating at the solder point".

He sugggests buying a spare & cleaning the old one with brake cleaner before reusing. That is what I have been doing for the last year or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JBM

Posted September 13, 2000 - 07:25 AM

I also use the stock or OEM filters. I just clean it with contact cleaner and reuse, and keep a spare on hand. I've been using the one that came in the bike since December. They should last quite a while.

• Clark_Mason

Posted September 13, 2000 - 05:00 PM

I concur I'v been using the stock filter and keep a spare on hand just in case the stock one gets torn. I usually clean the stock filter and reuse it about 5 times then replace it. I run about 300miles between oil changes so each stock filter lasts about 6 months. I have never seen a stock filter with a tear in it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.