Just picked-up a 98 XR650L

2 replies to this topic
  • JNR

Posted June 23, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Over the years on this forum, I have been a KTM 520 EXC owner, a KTM DukeII owner, a Suzuki DRZ 400 (highly modified), and as of today after being bikeless for over a year I am back again having just picked-up a used 98 XR650L from a bike shop owner/friend. Its in great shape with 5400 miles on the odo, fresh rubber, the carb mods completed on it, and the stock muffler modified to remove some of the baffles. It runs great, has a nice tone, but isn't overly loud which should bode well with the local authorities.

I was looking for a dual sport that would be user-friendly for 50mile round trip commutes from time-to-time and the XR is much better equipped for the road tasks than my previous 520 EXC or DRZ 400 were. I am fortunate to have some great dual sport riding areas literally right where I live, so the bike will get to see plenty of creek crossings and backroads riding as well as the blue highway treks from time-to-time. I will have to get some pics of the bike posted soon.

Btw-if anyone has any passenger pegs/brackets they want to sell, pm me.

Thanks!!:thumbsup:

Jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pianoexcellence

Posted June 23, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Welcome,

I use my xrl for the similar reasons, and it has never let me down

• JNR

Posted June 23, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback and welcome! I spent a bit of time searching and reading posts in this particular forum before going down the XR650 L path, but after reading through the many posts (some good, some bad), I really felt the XR would be well matched to my needs, and easy to maintain over the long run. More than anything, I wanted a bike that could handle some longer treks as required, and from what I have read the bike is up to that task, especially with the large capacity fuel tank options available.

Anyway, I look forward to hangin out on the forum in the future and learning more about the XR, doing some mods here and there, and sharing some of my experiences as time passes.

Thanks again!

Jeff :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.