XR650L diving front end

9 replies to this topic
  • gtr-fxr

Posted June 23, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Anyone experience the front end of your 'L' diving and plowing upon deceleration in loose dirt,sand or mud? I feel like I'm about to go over the bars when this happens. 5' 9" 165#. Bike still has stock front tire. I've got the bars rolled as far forward as I dare. Should I adjust the clickers on the forks? What might be a good setting?
Any thoughts???

• wheelnut46

Posted June 23, 2007 - 06:55 PM

I adjusted my forks just a couple clicks from full hard but I suspect that the most frustrating part of your setup is the stock front tire. It washes out off road a LOT. Get a decent aggressive tire on there and see the difference.

• gtr-fxr

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:06 AM

I've got a new MT-21 in the garage. Waiting to recover from the rear tire install before attacking the front. Should be easier though. I'll adjust the clickers too.
Thanks for the reply

• Huffa 2

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:19 AM

You might want to change the fork oil too, you can always put a heavier weight in from stock if you want a overall stiffer/slower feel to them.

You can ALSO fine tune the forks by upping the oil level in them a bit.

More oil = forks stiffening up sooner in the travel = less nose dive.

• brightman

Posted June 24, 2007 - 03:44 PM

i put 1.5 lbs of air in forks and that helped a bunch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted June 27, 2007 - 12:25 PM

mt21 tires fixed alot of that stuff on my L.

• truck6driver

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I put Progressive variable rate springs in my 94' (the dealer did anyway). Helped out alot. Front end had a completely different feel even on the street.

RH

• MartinDKtm

Posted June 28, 2007 - 03:23 AM

I did change my oil to 10w and set the clicker in the middle setup , 7 click I think and I always have an good agressive tire and it works great for me. I also have fork brace ao I don't know if they help for something here.

Martin

• MikeZ

Posted June 28, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Remember suspension is a balance.

Very seriously, check the rebound in the rear. I suspect you may be very low or your shock may tired.

-Z

• martinfan30

Posted June 28, 2007 - 08:12 AM

ya fork brace made a difference too on mine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.