Cooling fan

15 replies to this topic
  • rentaldude

Posted June 22, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Anyone considering a cooling fan like I am, Some riding we go on can be extremely slow and nasty thick deep mud, so I am considering adding a cooling fan to my bike. The one on my Suzuki Motard is really nice looks like I can make it work. Any kits out there yet?
Posted Image

• witdogg

Posted June 22, 2007 - 06:10 PM

You have a slick in the back :thumbsup:

I haven't heard of anyone making a fan yet. :thumbsup:

• Naz88

Posted June 23, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Fan is needed, I boiled her in traffic the other day :thumbsup:

• frdsrck

Posted June 23, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Mine boils every time I ride tight trails - I had it in to the shop today for re-jetting and to unplug fuel airmixture screw, hopefully make it run a little richer. We will see tomorrow!

• rentaldude

Posted June 23, 2007 - 03:18 PM

I haven't ridden my KLX450R in the tight stuff yet, I am just thinking ahead.
I did make it about 300 feet into that mess, before all came to a stop.

Bryan

• Mark-san

Posted June 23, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Mine boils every time I ride tight trails - I had it in to the shop today for re-jetting and to unplug fuel airmixture screw, hopefully make it run a little richer. We will see tomorrow!

Yeah, Mine boils every time, too. I ride tight trail with 1st and 2nd gear most of the time. So I ordered a jetting kit, AIS remove kit and a fuel screw. I will install them and ride next week.

• rentaldude

Posted June 24, 2007 - 12:29 AM

The replies I see , this just might be a really needed addition, so I have went one step further and looked up the fan and temp swith for my DRZ400SM

17800-29F01 Suzuki
FAN ASSY, RADIATOR
$141.66 $141.66

34850-03D00 Suzuki
SWITCH ASSY, WATER
$39.35 $39.35

Not saying this is the route I am taking but just looking at all options. When stopped at a traffic light my Motard fan kicks on, no Gauge, but it seems to work great, the battery on the motard is about the same size and the KLX450R, also I'll wire a switch so I can manually turn it on,
I hate boiling a engine. Seems I have read some of the red riders doing this to their X.

• jayp1203

Posted June 25, 2007 - 01:34 PM

I seem to remember reading about fans for the KTM's also to help with cooling. If I remember correctly it was a simple part addition for them to add it. :thumbsup:

I will try to check the KTM forums and see what they are using (hardparts or aftermarket) for a source.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cutting torch

Posted June 25, 2007 - 05:39 PM

For those of you that have been overheating, how do you know? Are you puking coolant?

The reason I ask, is that yesterday, I heard a gurgling noise when I stopped to wait for some buddies. I thought it might be boiling, and it was. As it turns out, my gas was boiling in the tank and gurgling at the end of the fill cap breather tube! I was thinking cooling system, but it was just my gas. The boiling fuel didn't make it run any different, though. :thumbsup:

torch

• rentaldude

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:46 PM

Torch, boiling fuel &%$#@!, wanna smoke? LOL

Bryan

• Naz88

Posted June 26, 2007 - 09:53 AM

Mine puked some coolant,

For those of you that have been overheating, how do you know? Are you puking coolant?

The reason I ask, is that yesterday, I heard a gurgling noise when I stopped to wait for some buddies. I thought it might be boiling, and it was. As it turns out, my gas was boiling in the tank and gurgling at the end of the fill cap breather tube! I was thinking cooling system, but it was just my gas. The boiling fuel didn't make it run any different, though. :thumbsup:

torch

• keithguy

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Mine also puked some coolant the first day I rode it. Since then I have switched the coolant to Engine Ice and installed a JD Jetting kit. No boil over problems any more. I also put some heat tile on the bottom of the tank to help keep the fuel cooler.

I raced a hare scramble this weekend in near 100 temps and felt alot of heat between the legs but after the bike cooled I checked the res bottle and it hadn't lost a drop and the bike ran great all race. Even in the tighter 1st and 2nd gear stuff.

• rentaldude

Posted June 26, 2007 - 01:46 PM

Kiethguy, what jetting did you end up with, Did you remove the Air Pump. Pipe, intake mods? I was surprised my JD kit didn't come with a pilot jet?

Bryan

• frdsrck

Posted June 27, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I didn't get a good long ride in, but it did help - I was riding laps on a a short, tight 2km loop at a buddies house. It definitely had more bottom end snap and it stalled way less after it got warm - no boil over either. I heard a bit of rad "gurgles" when i stopped once, but no puking out the overflow.

My dealer suggested we try small things first, and that the complete jet kits had more stuff than necessary - I swaped the pilot up to a 48 - idles better, runs cooler at low rpm. Also adjusted the air/fuel screw by 1 full turn (in?) I can't remember if in or out makes it richer.... Think I might switch the main to a 150 as well - but it seems good now.

• keithguy

Posted June 27, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Kiethguy, what jetting did you end up with, Did you remove the Air Pump. Pipe, intake mods? I was surprised my JD kit didn't come with a pilot jet?

Bryan

I installed the JD kit exactly as the instructions said. I did take off the snorkel from the top of the air box and cut holes in the side panels. I am running Sunoco 110 octane fuel and no other engine or exhaust mods. So far everything seems good. I plan to play with the accelerator pump at some time, just to see what it does. This is my first dirt 4-stk and I need to learn how different carb changes effect the running/rideabilty.

I am satisfied with how the bike runs now and will play with carburetion one day when I have nothing better to do.

• rentaldude

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Here is a fan off my 08 KLR 650 that I will looking at installing on the KLX. In the next couple weeks I should find out if it fits and I will get back to you fellow TT'ers.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Wiki
How to shave and step a seat - last post by mele63

How to shave and step a seat

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2009 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2009
  • * * * * -
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by Kawasaki 93c
  • On April 29, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008
  • * * * * -
  • 9 reviews
  • Last review by neil-mx
  • On September 09, 2014
Forums
Photo

450 KLX intake camshaft surface by v55

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX450R
  • 8 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.