01 yzf426 flywheel help

5 replies to this topic
  • foxz

Posted June 22, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Im looking to get a bigger oz fly wheel. But i want to run a light and ive been told the wr fly wheel are around 10 ish oz heavier?? what all do i need to buy to run the wr flywheel and stator for the light? thx

• brolo747

Posted June 23, 2007 - 10:03 AM

why the jap bikes are calling a magneto a flywheel is beyond me. THe flywheel is behind the clutch basket. THe flywheel as they call it is a frigging magneto.....

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2007 - 11:41 AM

There is no flywheel behind the clutch basket, and it would be the wrong place for one, anyway. A flywheel is used to add rotational inertia in order to stabilize the speed of an assembly, normally a crankshaft. The clutch is a bad place for one because the reduction ratio to the clutch would diminish the effect. The part behind the basket is the primary driven gear and the drive cushion assembly.

The nomenclature applied to the flywheel by the Japanese manufacturers is "rotor". It isn't a magneto without a rotor and a stator.

It's people like us that applied the name flywheel to the magneto rotor, and there is no denying the fact that altering the weight of the magneto rotor changes the rotational inertia, or "flywheel effect" of the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxz

Posted June 23, 2007 - 01:33 PM

lol so what to do i need to make the wr fly wheel n stator work? how much weight does it add? thx

• Speedracer747-400

Posted June 23, 2007 - 03:44 PM

lol so what to do i need to make the wr fly wheel n stator work? how much weight does it add? thx

Check out the following thread:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=384993

• RiderX

Posted June 23, 2007 - 04:30 PM

There is no flywheel behind the clutch basket, and it would be the wrong place for one, anyway. A flywheel is used to add rotational inertia in order to stabilize the speed of an assembly, normally a crankshaft. The clutch is a bad place for one because the reduction ratio to the clutch would diminish the effect. The part behind the basket is the primary driven gear and the drive cushion assembly.

The nomenclature applied to the flywheel by the Japanese manufacturers is "rotor". It isn't a magneto without a rotor and a stator.

It's people like us that applied the name flywheel to the magneto rotor, and there is no denying the fact that altering the weight of the magneto rotor changes the rotational inertia, or "flywheel effect" of the engine.

Leave it to gray to throw out a Scientific explanation!! :thumbsup: I believe brolo747's train of thought is that since the flywheel on a car has a ring gear on it for the starter, the primary gear on a motorcycle engine is also a flywheel since thats what the kickshaft drives. As usual, Gray is right.... the primary gear does not act as a flywheel on a motorcycle engine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.