Edelbrock madness!

25 replies to this topic
  • jhrex

Posted June 22, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Yea MADNESS! In the sheer SIZE of the beast.

Installed a new Edelbrock carb on my YZ426f and WOW it is a TOTALY different bike!

Starts like a XR75 and the power gains are seemingly fantastic!

A dyno'd tell the story but just from the ride I really feeel a blast of new power, torque and high end.

still have not had time to really test it on a long ride yet but the fact that it starts right up wham! everytime, hot or cold is a g-frickin-blessing man.

I don't grimace when I go to start it in sneakers or vans anymore!

Anyone else got this mod? what d'ya think. how's it werkin' fer you?

it starts:applause: so happy:applause: it starts:applause: so happy!

Oh, and a question, I hava an FMF power core 4 exhaust, which is already pretty loud, now with the Eddy its Louder, 'specialy on the RAPP! and am wondering if many places are enforcing the 90db rule around Cal. my 500 isn't all that loud, and hasn't been an issue, but now I'm wondering.

Hope it is mainly a matter of rider courtesy, don't be a terd around camps and homes, buisness's and such and perhaps it'll slide. what d'ya think?

jh jhrex.com

• brolo747

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:59 AM

yeah I got the edelbrock and a pro moto silencer big difference they should just put these carbs on at the factory!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted June 22, 2007 - 10:22 AM

don't mention how well they work on the jetting forum they'll shut ya down...mine has been working great after dialing it in. i've ran 3 races since putting it on and the bike hasn't stalled once(used to stall several times a race)and like you say one kick when hot,pulls off the bottom like a freight train;what more could ya ask for?

• SC_Spode

Posted June 22, 2007 - 01:41 PM

don't mention how well they work on the jetting forum they'll shut ya down...

Why is that? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Bias. Edelbrock carbs either work for a particular bike, or they don't. If they do, then as NC said, a few little tweaks and you're happy. If they don't, you get frustrated. People that have had the latter experience are pretty negative about them.

• 642MX

Posted June 22, 2007 - 06:52 PM

So they work good on a 426? Replacing the carb is about the only mod I haven't done.......LOL.

• slacksaw

Posted June 23, 2007 - 04:41 AM

I bought my 426 with an edelbrock quicksilver on it, At first what a pain could get it dialed in had no book on it, but with some tt expert advice and a quick call to the company got it dialed in and I love it no hot start just twist kick and go. when I do stall just kick it twice fires right up. :thumbsup:

• probikerguy2

Posted June 23, 2007 - 09:00 PM

besides being convienient is there any big proformance advantages??

• hi everybody

Posted June 23, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Has anyone tried one on the 06-07 YZ450s?

• brolo747

Posted June 23, 2007 - 11:58 PM

mine is actually on a '03 yz450f. what i have heard is that they work great on all the yz's and i am assuming the wrs also. But I guess the 400, 426, 450 or certain years had serious hot start and stall issues and the edelbrock works excellent on curing these issues. Some people will say that proper jetting with the stock carb cures these issues but I have ridin' a stocker and mine and the difference in power is worth the price alone. I'm sold on them anyway. I also know a lot of people put them on Harleys.... I heard they sucked on xr400s but have never been on one that had one.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slacksaw

Posted June 24, 2007 - 05:37 AM

this is my first bike I have had in 15 years so cant tell the difference between other carbs just read about it alot. I do know that you can adjust on the fly with the edelbrock it has a red knob on top to make it more rich or lean with the # of clicks you turn it,, that was my problem didnt know what way was rich or lean and where to start from. but people from edelbrock help a tonalong with some great tt members. told me how many clicks from full rich to start with and then just fine tune it from there. not sure about newer carbs mine has been discontinued, but still would get a edelbrock if I was to buy a new bike.

• Polar_Bus

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:36 AM

Spend over $400 on a "performance" carb with a 50/50 shot of having to rejet the carb anyways, or just spend $20 on a few jets for the perfectly adequate performing stock carb?

I'll take my chances with the stock carb, thanks..... more expensive, useless performance mods IMO......

• brolo747

Posted June 25, 2007 - 03:59 AM

Well like they say opinions are like ******** everybody has one.:thumbsup:

• yz400f_Torqer

Posted November 28, 2007 - 10:30 AM

My yz400f came with one on it(edel quick silver) and Its super hard to start.What is many of your starting tecniqes?is it auto choke.And I cant find a red tab on top:excuseme:

• Noppy

Posted November 28, 2007 - 10:52 AM

You'll have to blip the throttle twice or three times. The accelator pump is activated and will act as some kind of choke.

The red knob is an accesory which should come with the carb. However, it's not mounted, but that's very simple. I have no doubt you could buy this as a part from Edebrock.

Noppy

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2007 - 11:26 AM

My yz400f came with one on it(edel quick silver) and Its super hard to start.What is many of your starting tecniqes?is it auto choke.And I cant find a red tab on top:excuseme:

I know the bike used is equipped with a stock carb, but have you watched the videos in Common Threads yet?

• runester

Posted November 28, 2007 - 01:59 PM

How is the edelbrock compared to a stock w/zip ty mod on an 07 450?
If it is a performance gain...what does it do/have thats better than stock...what type of mechanics does it use to function?
I like the way it sounds though I have no problems to speak of...strange thing,Kind of off topic but when I had my K&N filter the bike was hard to start though I had it dialed in (I Think) when I went back to the stock filter because I kept finding grit in the boot the bike fires up first or second kick every time now. With the K&N I would get lucky sometimes but if it didnt catch on the firts or second kick it would take me 10-15... with stock, BAM, fires right up!!! It ran great w/the K&N just didnt start well...

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2007 - 01:28 PM

If it is a performance gain...what does it do/have thats better than stock...what type of mechanics does it use to function?
I like the way it sounds though I have no problems to speak of...strange thing,Kind of off topic but when I had my K&N filter the bike was hard to start though I had it dialed in (I Think) when I went back to the stock filter because I kept finding grit in the boot the bike fires up first or second kick every time now. With the K&N I would get lucky sometimes but if it didnt catch on the firts or second kick it would take me 10-15... with stock, BAM, fires right up!!! It ran great w/the K&N just didnt start well...

i've been down the entire road as far as carbs go;between my 04 wr450 and my 05 yz450 which is now a ice cube big bore i've tried multiple fixes on the fcr and came up short then tried a edelbrock which solved alot of the issues but still needed a few fixs....got the ebrock right and loved it for awhile(awhile being the key word) it started 1-2 kicks even hot,never stalled and had a grunt off the bottom that was unequaled....but,after AWHILE it started having issues which were found to be related to wear,mostly because its not very dirt proof. anyway a carb thats coming undone is not the one to have so i sent my fcr to zip ty;i put it on and starting hot is easier but not as good as the ebrock... the bottom pull was not as strong either BUT...the mid to top is freekin unbeleivable! its much easier to dial in now also,and doesn't stall,just be sure to get the adjustable lj either the whole bowl or just the cover...i just got the cover as they were out of the bowl. i've ordered up a couple of needles to try to get the bottom to perform a little better than the DWR needle i'm running;gonna try a EMS and a ELQ. the zipty mod is worth it over the ebrock and the dependability just isn't there with the ebrock,it plain flunked the long term mountainman test. GO ZIPTY:thumbsup:

• todds924

Posted November 29, 2007 - 05:44 PM

Spend over $400 on a "performance" carb with a 50/50 shot of having to rejet the carb anyways, or just spend $20 on a few jets for the perfectly adequate performing stock carb?

I'll take my chances with the stock carb, thanks..... more expensive, useless performance mods IMO......

I agree! if they are so great how come the factory bikes aren't using them. Matter of fact, i have yet to even see one on any of the newer YZ's.

• todds924

Posted November 29, 2007 - 05:47 PM

K&N filters for the dirt = GARBAGE in my opinion. Cleaned and oiled every ride STOCK is the best.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.