Rear view mirrors

12 replies to this topic
  • hotdog7

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Ok I been looking for a way to put mirrors on my wr and they get alot of money for plastic junk mirrors with plastic mounts then I looked at some good mounts for handle bars I think they are also to much money like $19 for each mount plus mirrors so here is what I thought I would do I will weld on to blocks of aluminum to my bark busters then drill and tap them or just weld tabs on this way it wont bend bark buster when I go down. So anyone have another street legal way that is good and cheap to put mirrors on my wr or any thought of this being a bad idea? Thanks

• bg10459

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:24 AM

I bought an MSR mirror with mount for about $13. I wrapped some rubber electrical tape around the aluminum bar of my handguards and mounted the mirror over that. Now it folds down behind my handguards when not in use and just survived a 30+ mile hare scramble.:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• drtbk4ever

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:26 AM

I did a search for mirrors and found this thread on the baja designs mirrors.

http://www.thumperta...ghlight=mirrors

• ez__rider

Posted June 22, 2007 - 08:47 AM

here in Michigan, we are required to wear helmets. Thus, they wrote in that a helmet mounted mirror is an option. I'm not saying it's a great one, just pointing it out. bicycle stores have variations for this.

I have experienced mounting the common "ball in socket" plastic mirrors on the opposite side, and flipping it upside down so it sits under the grip. I actually thought it worked pretty good on my previous KLX650, although it is down pretty good, and you really take your eyes off the road to use it, esp. with a helmet on. haven't gotten to trying things on my WR yet, but I will within the next week.

• byggd

Posted June 22, 2007 - 09:11 AM

I have a BD mirror and it works/mounts great. You replace the back side of your clutch lever (or rear brake if so equipped) and screw the mirror in. It stays adjusted for on road and removes quickly for off road.

• mxcowboy

Posted June 22, 2007 - 01:31 PM

I use the Dual Star mirror http://www.dual-star.com and it works great. You can see out of it because it's not vibrating all around.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PROWLER 58

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:35 PM

I bought an MSR mirror with mount for about $13. I wrapped some rubber electrical tape around the aluminum bar of my handguards and mounted the mirror over that. Now it folds down behind my handguards when not in use and just survived a 30+ mile hare scramble.:thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

H i , how does that mirror work for you ? Vibration ? Can you adjust it, it looks like it isnt adjustable. Can you see well with it ? Bob

• ncampion

Posted June 29, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Another vote for Dual-Star. You can actually see out of them! If you're going to strap a piece of juck plastic on you bike just to "be legal", why not put a good one on that works as a mirror - comes in handy on the trail to see who's behind you.

• PROWLER 58

Posted June 29, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Another vote for Dual-Star. You can actually see out of them! If you're going to strap a piece of juck plastic on you bike just to "be legal", why not put a good one on that works as a mirror - comes in handy on the trail to see who's behind you.

Are they adjustable ? Is it glass ? Can you get by with just one ?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 30, 2007 - 08:13 PM

The Acerbis mirror is garbage. If you actually want to see out of it then don't waste your money. Spend a couple of bucks (is $19 really too much money for a mirror adapter?) and get an actual folding rear view mirror. One option is a Ken Sean mirror. They are usually had for less than a 20 spot. They actually work. Look here:Posted Image

• PROWLER 58

Posted July 01, 2007 - 09:18 AM

I use the Dual Star mirror http://www.dual-star.com and it works great. You can see out of it because it's not vibrating all around.

Posted Image

How much space on the bar do you need to install this ? On my 07 WR450, there is very little space. Can you actually see good where you have it located ? Does it have much adjust-ability ? Bob

• ncampion

Posted July 01, 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have very crowded bars with dual sport kit, roll chart, GPS and hand guard mounts, but the dual stars still fit nicely. Once you ajust them, they don't move so you don't need to be fooling with them all the time.

• dugabrams

Posted July 01, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I recently came from a DRZs with quality mirrors to an '05 wr450 with the crappy little acerbis mirrors. With frequent trips on the street, I needed something better for obvious safety reasons. I bought two little clutch/brake perch caps that have mirror posts from Baja designs for about $10 ea. and DRZ mirrors from e-bay and now I have great rearview vision, problem solved. Also, used the stock end cap from the brake and a couple of bolts to relocate the hot start.

http://s162.photobuc...t=wrperches.jpg

Hope this helps someone, stay safe!

Also, on another subject, how do I post a pic? I tried to Photobucket one and it is not here. How do you guys do it without posting a link? Thanks in advance

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.