Fuel vent leaks?

13 replies to this topic
  • hi everybody

Posted June 21, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ive noticed that my vent hose for the fuel tank is puking fuel onto my fender...i took the little one way valve off...since my friends aluminum one way does the same thing, but its still doing it! I never had this problem with my other bikes...how can I get it from dumping fuel through my steering stem and onto the fender?

• Ranger18

Posted June 22, 2007 - 06:23 AM

Let me guess, you have an 06 450.
The problem isn't your vent or one way, it's actually the gas cap. Go out and pick yourself up a new cap and all your problems will be solved.
I opted for a billet cap, for looks only, plus the price was about the same as a new factory cap.

http://www.pitposse....letgascaps.html

pit posse also sells on ebay. They have great prices, a nice product, and fast shipping.

• jayh300

Posted June 22, 2007 - 07:40 AM

ditto..... bad cap. mine got to the point it would vapor lock.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 22, 2007 - 11:12 PM

So far no problems with mine........I still have the stock gas cap but I have put on a new aftermarket stubby vent hose with a blue valve on top.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted June 22, 2007 - 11:19 PM

how can I get it from dumping fuel through my steering stem

I was told not to run your vent hose tube down the steering tube cause of gas spueing out and drying out the steering bearings at the bottom. I had a 05 yz250 2 stroke and all ways ran the hose down the stem and I had to replace the lower bearing halfway through the year. That had to be what caused it to do that cause when I washed the bike I all ways covered that hole up and wrapped plastic arround the steering stem nut and dust seal.(Tried to avoid water in that area as much as possible).

• brolo747

Posted June 23, 2007 - 12:36 AM

how can I get it from dumping fuel through my steering stem

I was told not to run your vent hose tube down the steering tube cause of gas spueing out and drying out the steering bearings at the bottom. I had a 05 yz250 2 stroke and all ways ran the hose down the stem and I had to replace the lower bearing halfway through the year. That had to be what caused it to do that cause when I washed the bike I all ways covered that hole up and wrapped plastic arround the steering stem nut and dust seal.(Tried to avoid water in that area as much as possible).

Thats crap!!! the only way you would have to replace that bearing is if you sprayed you bike down with high pressure and blew out all the grease!!! Just don't use high pressure around any bearings period!!! low pressure like a garden hose is fine.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Gasoline going down the center of the steering stem cannot reach either of the steering head bearings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted June 23, 2007 - 07:56 PM

Gasoline going down the center of the steering stem cannot reach either of the steering head bearings.

Thats what I figured when I was told that,Just thought I would relay the message to see what others thought and I see that I was right when I was told that. If I ever here of anything else I will post it here to see what you all will say in order to get the real truth.

• hi everybody

Posted June 23, 2007 - 09:10 PM

hmmm....the cap you say? bummer...who makes a decent, cheap, plastic gas cap?

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2007 - 07:28 PM

You may be able to dismantle the underside of the cap and figure out what's wrong. A couple of guys here have.

If replacement is required, just go with OEM. The vast majority of them are OK.

• Ranger18

Posted June 25, 2007 - 08:07 AM

Let me guess, you have an 06 450.
The problem isn't your vent or one way, it's actually the gas cap. Go out and pick yourself up a new cap and all your problems will be solved.
I opted for a billet cap, for looks only, plus the price was about the same as a new factory cap.

http://www.pitposse....letgascaps.html

pit posse also sells on ebay. They have great prices, a nice product, and fast shipping.

They are very nice caps, and affordable.

• hi everybody

Posted June 28, 2007 - 03:01 PM

hmm..alright.

what is there to a gas cap really?

and I dunno...im just not a fan of the aluminum ones...they look gaudy to me.

• grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2007 - 04:26 PM

what is there to a gas cap really?

Baffling and a check valve that can be assembled wrong or clogged. Look on the bottom side.

• hi everybody

Posted June 28, 2007 - 09:03 PM

hmmm...ok. thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.