Warning about adjusting your valves

4 replies to this topic
  • MotoGreg

Posted February 22, 2000 - 07:08 PM

Beware, if you plan to adjust your valves you had better do it when you don't have any riding planned for several days :) I called SEVEN dealers before I found one that stocks valve shims! Can you believe this? How are their service dept's doing the valve adjustments??? :D I tried both the parts and service dept's of each dealer and neither had any, no service dept had any used ones either, sounds very strange to me. Finally I got lucky at Malcomb Smith Motorsports, they stock plenty of them.

BTW, four valves were one shim size too tight and the center intake was in spec.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Visit us here then at www.insanespeed.com

• Dougie

Posted February 22, 2000 - 07:59 PM

The shop I tried has all but one size. Plus they traded them straight up. I gave them my old ones and they gave me new ones. No money involved. That was cool 'cause they are like 5 buck a piece. I did call five other shops for that last shim and no one carried them that small - 165. I had to wait two days for one to come in. I agree, if they don't carry them, how do they get the valve jobs done? For those in CO, the dealer who had them was Vickery.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: Race Tech Suspension, YZ Timing, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted February 22, 2000 - 09:49 PM

WOW! You are lucky your dealer is so cool. That is neat that they would trade you when they could just as easily charge you $5 each. If there was a shop like that around here they'd get my business for other stuff for sure. I needed the same size, 165, I had to buy two of that size for both exhaust valves. The two I needed for the intakes just happened to be the size I took out of the exhausts so I used them and saved $10 :)

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Heywood

Posted February 22, 2000 - 09:54 PM

Hey MotoGreg:

I have been wanting to check out Santiago for a while. Between work and the fact that none of my riding buddys have dual sport scoots, I haven't gotten up there to ride yet.

I would like to hook up with you sometime when you go for a Saddleback ride. Drop me an e-mail, if your interested, and I'll try and meet you up there somewhere.

Later,

Heywood

• MotoGreg

Posted February 22, 2000 - 10:31 PM

Ok Heywood, I'll let you know next time. Going riding somewhere Thurs if it doesn't rain and get to try out my friends new DRZ400E! And then off to Glamis on Friday morning!

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.