How do you clean you oil filter?

10 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted February 14, 2000 - 05:44 PM

after i came back from my second great ride i thought i would change my oil and clean my filter on my 00 wr. what a surprise i had to take off my silencer and header to get to the oil filter. anyways i was wondering if i could clean my oil filter instead of buying a new one the only thing in the filter is small metal bits.

• nahbeh

Posted February 14, 2000 - 06:49 PM

you need not remove your header even if you are using the stocker. just loosen the bolts that hold the header in place and you can easily push the header upwards. i usually use gas to wash my oil filter. You need not change filter everytime you do an oil change. it's meant to be reuseable. :)

• Dougie

Posted February 14, 2000 - 06:56 PM

Yep, that is what I use too...gas. At $15 a pop, it is best to re-use the oil filter unless it is torn or in bad shape. You, shouldn't have to remove your header and muffler. All you have to do is loosen the header bolts and push it up and out of the way. Of course you can do what I did and get the FMF header which allows you easy access to the oil filter as it is moved up and out of the way.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: Race Tech Suspension, YZ Timing, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics

• Clark_Mason

Posted February 14, 2000 - 08:34 PM

I also clean my oil dilter. I take the oil filter out on every other oil change and clean it using contact cleaner, PJ1 Super Clean. I reverse spray to clean the filter. I replace the oil filter after the third cleaning or if it looks suspicious.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 15, 2000 - 12:00 PM

Ditto about the head pipe. I use Bel-Ray Contact Cleaner to clean mine and it works really well. I suppose any contact cleaner will work the same. I would make sure to clean and check the filter about the first 3 or 4 oil changes and then maybe you could clean it with every other oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:09 AM

For oiling the "oil" filter I use the engine oil pump, for the "air filter" I use PJ1 or equivelant foam filter spray. :cheers: WR Dave

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:15 AM

The buy these that come in a green box for 2 or 3 bucks. I just throw them away and get a new one.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 11, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I've got a stainless oil filter. I'll usually spray some carb cleaner on it and blow it out, install..

Posted November 11, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I've got a stainless oil filter. I'll usually spray some carb cleaner on it and blow it out, install..

I've been thinking about getting one of those for the WR and quad. Are they worth the money?

• MountainMax

Posted November 11, 2006 - 04:23 PM

i too was contemplating it, Im still a bit skeptical

• RC81

Posted November 12, 2006 - 12:22 AM

I bought a Scotts and love it. Whats to be skeptical about? It couldnt possibly be worse than using an off brand unknown $3.00 filter or reusing one several times over. Mine has paid for itself and I am not tempted to compremise. I researched this filter and feel its a great alternative to buying paper over and over.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.